Dana Kessler has written for Maariv, Haaretz, Yediot Aharonot, and other Israeli publications. She is based in Tel Aviv.
A lecture series in Jerusalem cooks up recipes based on the work of Meir Shalev, Chaim Nachman Bialik, and others
Keren Cytter becomes lightning rod in country’s debate over Israel
It’s fresh, it’s nutritious, and it’s locally grown. But will anyone actually eat it instead of lettuce or spinach?
This month, Tel Aviv’s Meshek Barzilay offers seasonal options for Adar
Chocolate Week begins in Israel, spotlighting dozens of artisan chocolatiers that have sprung up in the past few years
Right-wing artist’s snub sets off a firestorm about free speech and art
On an agricultural farm in the Negev, visitors learn how to plant their own vegetable gardens for Tu B’Shevat
I didn’t know about the holidays until my son came home from preschool wearing a cardboard Hanukkah candle on his head
Boutique olive-oil producers gain popularity in Israel, but cheap imported oil—often lower quality—threatens the fledgling industry
On a moshav in southern Israel, the women behind Matamey Cochin keep alive the flavors of an ancient Jewish community
By Yair Rosenberg — These Jewish leaders’ influence has been felt around the country, in every denomination, even if you don’t know them by nameBy Lee Smith — One Middle Eastern nation does indeed pay to influence U.S. foreign policy. Hint: It’s not Israel.By Joan Nathan — Video: Throw away your jars of gray fish patties. This Rosh Hashanah, make a terrine that’ll have doubters asking for seconds.
The dynamic conductor and genius behind ‘West Side Story’ also wrote classical works. Allen Shawn explores what they reveal.
Batya Ungar-Sargon discusses her exposé on the tax rolls and funding cuts that fueled an ethnic rift in East Ramapo, N.Y.
Some people lean on neighbors for a cup of sugar. The Fruchters, of Memphis, Tennessee, needed theirs to help them keep the Sabbath.
- Jewish College Student Survey: Israel is Most “Crucial Issue” For Young Jews Today
- Spotlight On: Indie-Folk Trio Distant Cousins
- Actor Shane Baker on Translating ‘Waiting for Godot’ into Yiddish
- OMGWTFBIBLE Podcast: The Israelites Confront Pharoah, Things Get Real
- A Conversation with Amber Marchese of Real Housewives of New Jersey
- Jonathan Tropper?s ?This is Where I Leave You? finds humor during shivah
- Local artist tackles Jews and sex in ?Transparent? with Jeffrey Tambor
- The martyrdom of Steven Sotloff