Shanah Tova From Donald Fagen

The genius of Steely Dan talks blacks, Jews, and Lenny Bruce—and his new record, Sunken Condos

Related Content

Lenny Bruce Everywhere

Acknowledging the comic’s gift to Zappa, Mailer, Roth, and the other macho titans of eccentric 1960s pop

St. Leonard’s Passion

Leonard Cohen releases his 12th album, Old Ideas. The troubadour and poet hasn’t always been popular, but he is always profound.

No Mr. Nice Guy: Lou Reed

On the late Lou Reed’s 69th birthday, Elizabeth Wurtzel explained that contrary to the assertions of Philip Roth and others, the problem with Jewish male artists is not that they are too nice

“I didn’t think I was gonna be the lead singer,” he recalled. “Walter and I wanted a real singer for the band. We already had a band and a record contract, but neither of us wanted to sing. Jeff Baxter, who was in the band, said he knew this guy David Palmer from Boston and he said, ‘Hey, he looks like Roger Daltrey.’ So, he came out to California and rehearsed with him. But after a few songs, we realized that he didn’t have the attitude. We didn’t like him that much anyway. We didn’t like the sound of his voice that much. Walter and I really just wanted to play.” They should have fired him on the spot but the prospect of facing an audience was too terrifying. (Palmer would later write the lyrics for Carole King’s execrable “Jazzman.”)

“I knew I had the right attitude, but I didn’t think I was technically equipped or psychologically equipped,” Fagen continued. “I just never felt confidence in it. I admired people like Steve Winwood. I like Marvin Gaye, you know. Coming from the jazz world, I wanted to hear a real singer, someone who dealt some shit out. But I improved over the years. I took vocal coaching. I used to start out real soft. Walter had a stronger voice, but it always came out a hair flat. Can’t Buy a Thrill was the first professional singing I ever did. I thought of Dylan as a fabulous singer. I could never hope to sing as good as he could.” And Randy Newman? “Randy Newman seemed like an even worse singer than me. I liked Ray Charles, Levi Stubbs, Jack Jones, Joe Tex, Wilson Pickett.”

Fagen sounds like he has listened to these people, but he doesn’t sound anything like them. Put him in front of a piano and he sounds more like a straight-ahead jazz guy. But Fagen never actually tries to sound black. His vocals are a comedy about a neurotic member of the Tribe dishing out one-liners and bleak prophecy. “I would love to tour the southland on a traveling minstrel show,” sang Fagen on “Pretzel Logic”; Fagen and Becker were not actually yearning to restage blackface. They were staging Jewface, willing to acknowledge, in their ironic way, that many white singers imitate black singers, and that in their case it was going to be parody, it was going to be history, and it would not sound like anyone else.

“Haitian Divorce,” from The Royal Scam (1976) is a number the Dan still churns out in concerts today, sometimes with Becker singing lead. It’s about a Scarsdale-type Jewish woman—even named Babs—who has a tourist’s fling with a local dude on a West Indian vacation. Of the product of their union, Fagen, hamming it up, sings, “Semi-Mojo. Who’s this kinky so-and-so?” The guitar, through a phaser, is adenoidal. The reggae beat is taunting. Fagen settles for “semi-Mojo” in his journey through blackness. He sounds like a comedian making the most out of cultural incongruity. We never liked Steely Dan because they were good imitators or smooth performers. We dug the raunchy irony, chord changes intense enough, in their rock ’n’ roll context, to be a moment in jazz that never quite happened. We dug the nasty characters and we dug the artifice.

The band still tours every year (an odd sight for a band that famously gave up touring for most of their original run), and while they are worth seeing, the studio perfectionism cannot possibly be reproduced on a rock ’n’ roll stage. (Becker has a droll monologue in the middle of “Hey, Nineteen” that is worth the price of admission.) But what could one possibly expect for a collective that’s survived so much? The band named after a sex toy can still give pleasure. The back-up singers are there to look decorative and to add depth to Fagen’s increasingly attenuated voice (richer and stronger on Sunken Condos). Becker has switched from bass to guitar after being a mostly silent partner in the studio years, and you can hear the soul in his playing that Fagen identified in their funky college days, when he first overheard his future partner playing the blues and Fagen thought he was black.

But Fagen never pretended to be anything other than he was. Even now, as he turns Isaac Hayes’ already clever “Out of the Ghetto” into some funky-ass stand up, he can only be that guy on his way to the bodega. But the guy knows stuff you’d never expect from a pop musician. When he saw that I was carrying a copy of Henry James’ Portrait of a Lady, he said, “Oh, man, I really dug the novel James wrote about politics and conspiracy. What was it called?” “The Princess Casamassima?” I ventured. “Yeah, man, that’s it. I never understood why it wasn’t more appreciated.” Shanha tova, indeed. It would be difficult to imagine having this conversation with, say, Doobie Brother Michael McDonald. “You know some obscure shit, man,” he said. After all that Steely Dan had given to me, I couldn’t have imagined a grander compliment.

1 2 3View as single page
xcubbies says:

Brought back memories of Steely Dan playing at a dance in the old gym at Bard. Not really good music to dance to.

I remember reading an interview with Fagen and Becker in 1980 and Walter saying that he is, in fact, not Jewish. Not that it matters, actually, but it’s an interesting sidebar. I have also seen Donald Fagen touring with Mike McDonald and Boz Scaggs as The Dukes of Rhythm…a great show. I saw Steely Dan in ’93 at the Gorge at George in Eastern Washington State…one of the greatest shows I’ve seen in 45 years of attending concerts.

jewels says:

pretty pretentious article, slick and surface. What made the music so great were all the
incredible musicians on the recording sessions, freelance players studio musicians,
and who actually did the arrangements, the full arrangements? Does anyone know?
Probably not Becker and Fagen. Now that woud be interesting journalism.

Why would you state something this disregardng of another wonderful musician?
“It would be difficult to imagine having this conversation with, say, Doobie
Brother Michael McDonald.”

holdmewhileimnaked says:

he’s a jew. people said stuff like that in 1980 just to fuck with other peoples heads.

scurvybro says:

Elliot Randall played the guitar solo on “Reelin’ in the Years,” not Denny Dias.

Très probablement le meilleur article jamais écrit sur Steely Dan. Bravo et merci.

If half this article had been edited out it would have been good. Can’t stand the “aren’t these guys so bad and cool” pose. You’re not 14 anymore Yaffe.

nice piece, but, hey, guys, the “lost wages” line ain’t Lenny Bruce’s.

I was about to look that up, & said to myself “ok, this guy just doesn’t know” Trivia: did you know that Jimmy Page, when asked what was his all-time fave guitar solo, said “Elliot Randall-Reelin’ in the Years”? Cool huh?

SenatorChas says:

Interesting read, but way too pretentious and elitist in attitude and tone. My first wince followed the statement that “Reelin’ in the Years” made “no concessions to popular taste.” For starters, how ’bout the the CSN-like harmonies and the very ’70s guitar hooks and riffs? Sure it was subversive, but it was thoroughly commercial. With very few exceptions, all big hit singles concede to popular taste, and “Reelin’” was no exception.

darlaj says:

Only an English professor could have written this.

Bill Robbins says:

So much fun, and informative, to read the other comments. Steely Dan made (makes) great music; music that is part of my high school and college years. As for the pretentious “rock-journalism,” I always found it amusing, how rock journalists and art critics write in their own little, annoying language, as if they have a special appreciation for what drug-and-alcohol-ridden musicians and artists–many of them, brilliant in their talent and/or their trade, do for a living. Not that all musicians and artists are drug-addicts and alcoholics; just the really good ones!

S.A. Robinson says:

Thanks Yaffe..

You were the right guy to write this piece, at the right time.
I plan to steal a couple of you ripest lines, like ‘ a whiny Jew who wanted soul and got irony’ and I think I’ll have a t-shirt made up with Donald’s face on the back and ‘ Jewface’ on the front.

For me, the tune ‘Everything Must Go ‘ sums up the last couple of decades and seems to play in my head when ever it wants, and about the mashing of notes to achieve a sort of patent ( the Mu major), i should probably send the boys a few coins for my abuse of them too. Also, in regard to Mr. F’s dental,work…after the last three live shows I’ve attended, I’m fairly certain the Donald is a member of some terribly obscure sect of Sephardic Vampires, those incisors honed on the necks of countless nubiles.

Tiluriso says:

Very fine article. Donald Fagen is one of my all time musical heroes, a true genius. Just some corrections: 1) The solos on ‘Reelin’ In The Years’ were played by Elliot Randall, not Deny Dias – Denny plays the electric sitar solo on ‘Do It Again’. 2) Carole King and David Palmer’s ‘Jazzman’ is a great tune IMHO, maybe not her best, but certainly far from being ‘execrable’, as stated in this article. Toodle-oo.

Shanah Tova From Donald Fagen

My Name Is Donald Lev, I Speak for the Trees

By Robert Hirschfield — The cab-driving poet and his wife marched alone together in the Israel Day Parade