Action Bronson Is My Grandfather

Meet the genius Jewish rapper from Queens who isn’t up for a Grammy, but should be, and will be

Action Bronson (Vice Records)
Related Content

Fat Man Saves Israeli Hip-Hop

How Itay Lukach and YouTube defeated the bombast of Subliminal to revive Israeli rap

After the song ends, the camera keeps rolling. Bronson gets the woman’s phone number and she tells him that he’s going to be a star. She also confides that she hasn’t had sex in 21 years, but she’d do him now. Then he hoists her off the ground and police sirens squawk. It ends with him flashing an impish Dennis the Menace glance at the camera.

Action Bronson’s formal debut was 2011’s Dr. Lecter, which felt a little like a formal debut. There are plenty of inspired moments. But the appeal is heaviest to rap purists and anyone else entertaining by nimble politically incorrect rhymes about being “twisted off Manischewitz” and eating barbequed venison.

The big creative leap happened on last year’s Blue Chips, a pawn-shop collage of samples lifted from the Neville Brothers, Frank Zappa, The Flamingos, and other flotsam scrounged while stoned-surfing YouTube. Bronson became a writer as colorful and carnal as Henry Miller and as chimerical as Rick Ross. He’s “eating tacos in the Galapagos, higher than a opera note,” smoking out of Thanksgiving turkey bags, eating out Yugoslavian women with “baby bushes,” and buying prime rib from premium NYC “meat purveyor,” Pat LaFrieda. “Hookers at the Point” riffs on the 2002 documentary of the same time, with Bronson inhabiting the character of a cracked-out prostitute “suck[ing] a Jewish lawyer, or an African cabby,” a Puerto Rican john, and a pinky-ringed pimp named Montel (one “L”). But “9-24-11” might be the moment when he became one of the best rappers out. He fucks up his verses three times, coughs, and hacks up his worries, anxieties, and his family’s immigrant saga. It’s as confidently improvised, tough, and honest as rap gets.

The star turn was the video for “The Symbol,” from late 2012’s Rare Chandeliers, his collaboration with the similarly Semitic Alchemist. The result being the greatest Hebrew hip-hop contribution since “So What’cha Want.” Wearing a blond Brian Jones mop-top wig and a denim vest, Bronson is a ’70s crime boss, seducing harlots, buying delicious cocaine, and dispatching enemies with sadistic glee. He is the symbol, staring at himself in the mirror and only seeing exquisite features. He is the fat pretty boy who will dismantle you and cook pasta, a lost character from Jackie Brown.

Released as his first official project since signing to Vice/Warner Bros, Rare Chandeliers elicited raves. It’s weirder, heavier, and more psychedelic than its predecessors. It also features “Eggs on the Third Floor,” his most playful and possibly best moment as an artist. The beat switches to an old-school chant and he toggles back and forth between Jamaican toaster and block party Queens MC, who you can catch out in SoCal, spending five weeks in the grow house.

To use an analogy that my grandfather would understand, when Ornette Coleman first came up in the jazz world, he couldn’t escape the Charlie Parker comparisons until one day, he became Ornette Coleman. “Eggs on the Floor” is when it becomes obvious that there can only be one Action Bronson, a blunt and blunted Queens representative, hand-springing into the Buick, having wild nights with your wife, and always smoking spices. He feels like family.

Listen to Rare Chandeliers (explicit lyrics):

1 2View as single page
jonitin says:

Thanks for the artist intro and the riffs, but the editor here did the writer no justice. I went cross-eyed trying to follow this piece. Again, wasn’t without some satisfaction. And who knows, maybe it’s just me shaking in terror from all this news about an approaching 60-mile per hour blizzard. Anyway, good videos.

I agree with jonitin that the article was hard to follow BUT thanks for letting me know about this guy. Reminds me of Ghostface.

Randall Bernstein says:

Ditto to the previous comments. What ever happened to writing a piece that a college graduate could understand? A bit of clear headed writing is needed here. Maybe too much “blunt” going on here?

arktikwolf says:

Can we say, “Narcissistic Personality Disorder,” children?
LOL

Habbgun says:

The writer, the rapper or both?

arktikwolf says:

The rapper. That said — bluesmen have always bragged about their sexual
prowess and the size of their organ (“I’m a Sixty-Minute Man,” “Big12-inch
Record,” ) and how well they eat (“I eats mo’ chicken . . . “(Howlin’ Wolf), “Give me champagne when I’m thirsty and reefer when I want to get high.” (Muddy Waters.)
Lest there be any misunderstanding, I was not diss-ing the man; hell, the whole genre could be said to be narcissistic. I’m sure Bronson is good to his mother and I wish him all the best.

aymebutavia@yahoo.com says:

you’re comparing rap to jazz–quite a leap, don’t you think?

Dizzle says:

This is a weak article for a number of reasons.

1. It was written 1-2 years too late. Few people need to “meet” Action Bronson at this point, as the subheadline says. He is not new to anyone who listens to hip-hop or music generally. So, like, this is not a story.

2. Is he actually Jewish? The subheadline claims that he is. The body dilutes the claim (“Jewish extraction”, “similarly Semitic”), rightfully I think. Why? Because no article I’ve seen claims that Action Bronson is Jewish (i.e. there are typically vague mentions of Jewish ancestry) or features Action Bronson self-defining as Jewish. It would have been really interesting for the writer of this article to pursue that. Actually, that would have been the only interesting thing for the writer to pursue, because the rest of what he offers is a mash-up of stuff that has already been said.

3. I think we’re all in agreement that the grandfather angle is hackneyed and blah.

4. There is nothing politically incorrect about being twisted off Manischewitz or eating barbequed venison. I challenge the writer to identify what about either of these things is politically incorrect.

5. The lyric from Steve Wynn is “been wildin’ since the Rabbi snipped it,” and not “was wild since the Rabbi snipped it.” Small matter I suppose. But as the rapper Edan once said, “Geometric poop. Get your shit straight.”

arktikwolf says:

Branches of the same tree,
rooted in the blues.

aymebutavia@yahoo.com says:

if the forest is located on Mars, perhaps

arktikwolf says:

Your rapier wit leaves me stunned and humiliated; I feel so diminished
in the shadow of your august erudition. Seriously, your Ethnomusicology degree is from where, exactly? The University of Uranus? Sunshine — it would behoove you to remain silent when adults are attempting to communicate.

meirmoses says:

Strong similarities and roots in many ways…

Natan79 says:

Maybe the author’s joint was too long.

Gotta disagree with you fools. Full of humor and wit — kind of like Bronson himself, eh?

Anonymous says:

His Dad is Muslim and his Mom I assume may be Jewish or half Jewish possibly.

Action Bronson Is My Grandfather

App Lets You Atone From Your Smartphone

By Isabel Fattal — Inspired by Leviticus, eScapegoat lets users offload sins onto a virtual goat