What To Do in 5773

Dr. Ruth, Shmuley Boteach, Mayim Bialik, Shalom Auslander, and 23 more on ensuring a meaningful year

Leslie Epstein, author

Leslie Epstein

After a quick inventory of my brain I have found no one thing I must do to have a meaningful year. Rattling around are a series of small things that, if they don’t occur, will make for a disappointing 5742 (or whatever the hell this new year actually is):

—maintaining my 5-mile walk/run in no more than exactly one hour
—improving my backhand down the line
—paying attention to the other players’ hands at the poker table
—coming up with a hundred decent pages of a new novel. (I am now on page 20.)
—moving to France if Romney gets elected
—watching the Cubs get to 500

And a number of other such knickknacks.

Joshua Cohen, writer

My New Year’s resolution is straight-ahead: Stop imposing Hallmark® goyisher narrischkeit on Jewish tradition. It isn’t New Year’s. It’s Rosh Hashanah.

For all of Tablet magazine’s Rosh Hashanah coverage, click here.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11View as single page

Can Shmuley Boteach go two seconds without promoting one of his books?

Ephraim_K says:

Can Shmuley Boteach go five seconds without promoting one of his books?

gwhepner says:

RESPONDING TO ONE OF EMILY NUSSBAUM’S ROSH HASHANAH
RESOLUTIONS

One of Emily Nussbaum’s Rosh Hashanah resolutions

is responding to the writers she admires.

I consider this to be the best of all solutions

for all the unread and unhappy versifiers

like me, and wonder whether it is possible to garner

from her a note of admiration for this verse.

Even if it isn’t, I wish Emily a shanah

that’s sweet, if she to what is sweet is not averse.

gwhepner@yahoo.com

Very surprised that Shmuely Boteach did beg for campaign money!

LAWINZ COHEN says:

I HOPE LESLIE EPSTEIN ENJOYS FRANCE

just wanted to say this might be my favorite piece on Tablet yet. awesome job, guys

Mr Auslander, hurry up already! but i do think your shrink sounds like a great fellow

He will be welcomed but I guess he won’t have to move

LAWINZ COHEN says:

too bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Emily Nussbaum’s Rosh Hashanah resolutions is responding to the writers she admires. I consider this to be the best of all solutions for all the unread and unhappy versifiers like me, and wonder whether it is possible to garner from her a note of admiration for this verse.
I am beautiful woman and I love good
man…..inter racial romance is my dream… so I joined —blackwhitеPlanet.С0M—–it’s where to- connect
with beautiful and excellent people!, I wish Emily a shanah

that’s sweet, if she to what is sweet is not averse.

Miltonb says:

One of the nicest people I have met in my 38 years in book publishing is Dr. Ruth Westheimer. She was warm and empathetic. What more could you ask of an author? A true mensch.

Why does Tablet — or anyone — give space to Shalom Auslander? He has no point to make other than a continuing immersion in his Jewish self-loathing. If he hates being Jewish so much, why does he keep his name? It’s one thing to take issue with aspects of Jewish practice or culture; another thing entirely to wallow in self-indulgent victimhood ad nauseum.
Your readers deserve better.

Joshua Cohen, why be so ridiculous as to suggest resolution making is either “goyisher” or “narrischkeit”??? This only makes me suspicious that you’ve never given serious consideration to the reflective, re-aligning work of Teshuvah…

hash brown says:

See ‘kooloytoyra.blogspot.com’

What To Do in 5773

Poems About Kaddish, War, and Everyday Life

By the Editors — Celebrate National Poetry Month with Tablet’s stories about poets and poems