What To Do in 5773

Dr. Ruth, Shmuley Boteach, Mayim Bialik, Shalom Auslander, and 23 more on ensuring a meaningful year

Stanley Fish, professor of humanities and law at Florida International University, in Miami

Stanley Fish

I am 74 years old and continue to do the same things I have been doing since I was 22. I have been unwilling to consider the necessity of rethinking my goals and aspirations in the face of the certainty that so little time remains to accomplish them. I resolve in the next year to stop hiding my head in the sand.

Fyvush Finkel, star of Yiddish theater, television, and Broadway

Fyvush Finkel

I don’t plan to retire; they’ll have to retire me. I want to re-open my revue, Fyvush Finkel Live! My dream is it should have an open-end run, that it should last a while, and people would come to see it.

At the age of 90, I want to make sure that my children are well taken care of when I’m not around, and to guide them, be around, keep them company. And my health! You’ve got to watch the way you eat. My doctor yells at me: “You’ve got to learn to eat like an 80 year old man! You can’t eat like you’re 20!” I watch my diet, try to lower my cholesterol. But of course, every now and then I take a steak. Don’t forget, I‘m Jewish, you gotta have a steak. And herring. Once in a while, you have to cheat a little.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11View as single page

Can Shmuley Boteach go two seconds without promoting one of his books?

Ephraim_K says:

Can Shmuley Boteach go five seconds without promoting one of his books?

gwhepner says:

RESPONDING TO ONE OF EMILY NUSSBAUM’S ROSH HASHANAH
RESOLUTIONS

One of Emily Nussbaum’s Rosh Hashanah resolutions

is responding to the writers she admires.

I consider this to be the best of all solutions

for all the unread and unhappy versifiers

like me, and wonder whether it is possible to garner

from her a note of admiration for this verse.

Even if it isn’t, I wish Emily a shanah

that’s sweet, if she to what is sweet is not averse.

gwhepner@yahoo.com

Very surprised that Shmuely Boteach did beg for campaign money!

LAWINZ COHEN says:

I HOPE LESLIE EPSTEIN ENJOYS FRANCE

just wanted to say this might be my favorite piece on Tablet yet. awesome job, guys

Mr Auslander, hurry up already! but i do think your shrink sounds like a great fellow

He will be welcomed but I guess he won’t have to move

LAWINZ COHEN says:

too bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Emily Nussbaum’s Rosh Hashanah resolutions is responding to the writers she admires. I consider this to be the best of all solutions for all the unread and unhappy versifiers like me, and wonder whether it is possible to garner from her a note of admiration for this verse.
I am beautiful woman and I love good
man…..inter racial romance is my dream… so I joined —blackwhitеPlanet.С0M—–it’s where to- connect
with beautiful and excellent people!, I wish Emily a shanah

that’s sweet, if she to what is sweet is not averse.

Miltonb says:

One of the nicest people I have met in my 38 years in book publishing is Dr. Ruth Westheimer. She was warm and empathetic. What more could you ask of an author? A true mensch.

Why does Tablet — or anyone — give space to Shalom Auslander? He has no point to make other than a continuing immersion in his Jewish self-loathing. If he hates being Jewish so much, why does he keep his name? It’s one thing to take issue with aspects of Jewish practice or culture; another thing entirely to wallow in self-indulgent victimhood ad nauseum.
Your readers deserve better.

Joshua Cohen, why be so ridiculous as to suggest resolution making is either “goyisher” or “narrischkeit”??? This only makes me suspicious that you’ve never given serious consideration to the reflective, re-aligning work of Teshuvah…

hash brown says: