What To Do in 5773

Dr. Ruth, Shmuley Boteach, Mayim Bialik, Shalom Auslander, and 23 more on ensuring a meaningful year

Benjamin Brafman, criminal defense attorney

Benjamin Brafman

As a criminal defense lawyer, I am often standing beside someone who, although “only” accused of a crime, is nevertheless already destroyed in the eyes of family community and, if a public figure, destroyed in the eyes of the world as well. Giving those who have suffered public humiliation a warm handshake or hug when they may need it most does not cost anything—and giving someone the benefit of the doubt and, wherever possible, forgiveness, is priceless.

Daniel Seidemann, Israeli attorney specializing in Israeli-Palestinian relations in Jerusalem

I only have one “modest” goal for 5773: to keep the two-state solution alive. Keeping that solution alive means encouraging my Israeli compatriots—most of whom, while agreeing with me, are sipping cappuccino on the edge of a volcano—to abandon their state of denial; encouraging  diaspora Jewry to transform their dedication to Israel from a teenage infatuation into an adult love; and encouraging friends of Israel to critically engage the Israeli government when its policies are self-destructive.

Andy Bachman, rabbi

This year I must, whenever possible, teach people that public service is not only a noble service but a necessary service for the true fulfillment of enacting on a scale that is expected of us values of justice and equality in our society; that paying taxes is an obligation like giving tzedakah; that politics, though debased, can be redeemed if everyone who truly cares about the future of this unique nation would agree to read the Federalist Papers, if only to be reminded of the sacred secular relationship our Founders had to the enterprise of building a nation. Similar to my relationship with Torah, I promise to uphold the Founding Documents of this country to keep alive the Covenant those first revolutionaries bequeathed to us.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11View as single page

Can Shmuley Boteach go two seconds without promoting one of his books?

Ephraim_K says:

Can Shmuley Boteach go five seconds without promoting one of his books?

gwhepner says:

RESPONDING TO ONE OF EMILY NUSSBAUM’S ROSH HASHANAH
RESOLUTIONS

One of Emily Nussbaum’s Rosh Hashanah resolutions

is responding to the writers she admires.

I consider this to be the best of all solutions

for all the unread and unhappy versifiers

like me, and wonder whether it is possible to garner

from her a note of admiration for this verse.

Even if it isn’t, I wish Emily a shanah

that’s sweet, if she to what is sweet is not averse.

gwhepner@yahoo.com

Very surprised that Shmuely Boteach did beg for campaign money!

LAWINZ COHEN says:

I HOPE LESLIE EPSTEIN ENJOYS FRANCE

just wanted to say this might be my favorite piece on Tablet yet. awesome job, guys

Mr Auslander, hurry up already! but i do think your shrink sounds like a great fellow

He will be welcomed but I guess he won’t have to move

LAWINZ COHEN says:

too bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Emily Nussbaum’s Rosh Hashanah resolutions is responding to the writers she admires. I consider this to be the best of all solutions for all the unread and unhappy versifiers like me, and wonder whether it is possible to garner from her a note of admiration for this verse.
I am beautiful woman and I love good
man…..inter racial romance is my dream… so I joined —blackwhitеPlanet.С0M—–it’s where to- connect
with beautiful and excellent people!, I wish Emily a shanah

that’s sweet, if she to what is sweet is not averse.

Miltonb says:

One of the nicest people I have met in my 38 years in book publishing is Dr. Ruth Westheimer. She was warm and empathetic. What more could you ask of an author? A true mensch.

Why does Tablet — or anyone — give space to Shalom Auslander? He has no point to make other than a continuing immersion in his Jewish self-loathing. If he hates being Jewish so much, why does he keep his name? It’s one thing to take issue with aspects of Jewish practice or culture; another thing entirely to wallow in self-indulgent victimhood ad nauseum.
Your readers deserve better.

Joshua Cohen, why be so ridiculous as to suggest resolution making is either “goyisher” or “narrischkeit”??? This only makes me suspicious that you’ve never given serious consideration to the reflective, re-aligning work of Teshuvah…

hash brown says: