The Better Book Club

Rather than ban books, let’s find alternatives

(Photo collage by Abigail Miller/Tablet Magazine)

Last week, I talked about the tsuris over the book The Shepherd’s Granddaughter; which some Canadian Jewish organizations want to ban from school libraries and remove from the Ontario Library Association’s recommended reading list. The dozens of fiery comments and letters the story generated proved that there’s plenty more to be said on this subject.

What should we do when faced with a literary work that makes us want to scream like a mandrake in a Harry Potter novel (No. 1 on the American Library Association’s list of the most frequently banned books of the last decade, by the way)?

First, read the book. Screaming about the content and dangers of something you haven’t read is lunacy. My reaction to The Shepherd’s Granddaughter: The story is so broad and the characters so simplistic and nuance-free, it’s more like a Balinese puppet play than a fully realized novel. It’s also written in a sonorous, self-important tone that would have annoyed me as a 7th grader. I liked books with strong characterization, ethical shading, and humor—qualities this book lacks completely. As an adult, I found this book infuriating and distressing, but it’s worth considering that a kid unfamiliar with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict may simply be bored and irked.

OK, you say, but what if my kid does read it? Take a deep breath. When we get shrill and hyperbolic and demonize any book—just as when we go all Reefer Madness about drug education or insist that every act of premarital sex leads to AIDS, pregnancy, warts, and demon babies with gills—we’re missing an opportunity for education. If the kid reads a book like The Shepherd’s Granddaughter and doesn’t become a suicide bomber, we’ve proven ourselves to be clueless and untrustworthy as authority figures. We’ve closed the door to open, honest discussion.

And remember, we parents do have influence over our kids. If Josie, my 8-year-old, brought The Shepherd’s Granddaughter home from the library, I’d have a conversation with her about its bias. It’s part of my job as a parent. How do novels differ from history? Does fiction have an obligation to tell everyone’s story? Josie and I had a tough talk about Little House on the Prairie, which features some mighty racist words about Indians. We had it about Dr. Dolittle, which treats Africans like buffoons. Great swaths of classic children’s literature come from a place of bias or privilege. It doesn’t mean we don’t read those books. It means we talk about them.

I hear you saying, “Stupid naïve mother! Your child is 8! Get back to me when she’s a teenager!” I do know we can’t police all the culture—music, movies, books—our children will ever consume. But by the time they’re in junior high or high school, they should know our values on controversial subjects. That too is part of the parental job assignment. If our kids don’t know what we believe, that’s our fault. No book can trump years of parenting.

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict, of course, is a particularly complicated subject for any parent to tackle. So, I asked a dozen or so Jewish librarians for their recommendations of middle-grade and young adult books that offer perspective without inducing narcolepsy. Here goes:

Samir and Yonatan, by Daniella Carmi. This book is perfectly appropriate for 7th and 8th graders. It’s told from the perspective of a Palestinian boy who befriends an Israeli boy while both are in the hospital. The writing is lyrical but also readable, with a lot of engaging dialogue.

Running on Eggs, by Anna Levine. This book, unfortunately out of print but available at many libraries and from used booksellers, is also fine for middle-schoolers. An Israeli and an Arab girl in Galilee become friends thanks to their shared love of running. As an American, I’m not sure how realistic the book is, so I asked my Israeli editor. He said, “The portrayal of an Israel with a track team of Arabs and Jews sounds like West Side Story’s version of New York City gang life: It’s technically possible that some thugs move in perfect choreography and resolve their differences in song and finger-snapping, but the reality is likely darker.” Duly noted.

Real Time, by Pnina Moed Kass. This frenetic, lightning-paced, scary, cinematic story made me feel like an old person. In other words, teenagers will love it. Several characters with different backgrounds, on different emotional journeys, board a bus that is subsequently bombed by a terrorist. Each entry has a time-stamp, like on 24. The narrative shifts rapidly among the German teenager descended from Nazis, the young kibbutznik, the Holocaust survivor, the Palestinian suicide bomber, the kind Palestinian doctor. (Just like The Breakfast Club, but with explosives!) In 2004, Real Time won the Association of Jewish Libraries’ Sydney Taylor Award for the best Jewish book for older readers.

A Bottle in the Gaza Sea, by Valerie Zenatti. I adored this epistolary novel, which won a Sydney Taylor Honor in the older readers category as well as a host of other awards from secular librarians and booksellers. It’s my favorite title on this list. A Jewish girl asks her brother, a soldier, to throw a bottle with a letter in it into the Gaza sea. She’s hoping for a Palestinian girl pen-pal, but winds up with a sarcastic, angry Palestinian boy. The story consists of emails and instant messages between the two beautifully drawn characters. There’s humor, sadness, fear. The two characters have wildly different voices and views of the world. I think the book does justice to a complex conflict while completely holding its own from a literary perspective. “With strong, likable characters, a quick pace, suspense where there are bombings, and a good sense of place, this book is an excellent way for teens to learn about the challenges of living in Israel and Gaza, as well as the cultures,” Kathe Pinchuk, chair of the Sydney Taylor Committee the year the book won the award, said. “The hopefulness, the anger, and the fear and curiosity of the unknown are developed well.” The book’s author, Valerie Zenatti, is a French Jew whose family made aliya when she was a teenager.

If your middle-school- or high-school-aged child is drawn to lyrical writing, he or she will enjoy Tasting the Sky by Ibtisam Barakat, a memoir by a Palestinian woman who grew up during the Six Day War. The chapters are short and easy to read. The book focuses on Ibtisam’s daily life, not just politics or war. Kids will be fascinated by her stories of her father killing her beloved goat and of her brothers’ circumcisions. Israelis aren’t demonized—the perspective is that of a real child. It just feels immediate, and it’s gorgeously written.

The Flag of Childhood: Poems From the Middle East, compiled by Naomi Shihab Nye (first published as Space Between Our Footsteps, which garnered starred reviews from Kirkus and School Library Journal) offers 60 poems for kids written by adult poets from throughout the Middle East. Here’s one I’d share with kids of all backgrounds:

“I Do Not Blame You”
By Samih al-Qasim

Your wings are small for this storm –
I do not blame you.
You’re good, and frightened, and
I am the hurricane. I used to be a wing
Struggling in the storm
But then I became the storm,
Lacking light, shade, or a wise language.
And now I confess
To be a lost planet circling a lost world
And I do not blame you:
What has tender mint to do with the storm?

Translated by Sharif S. Elmusa and Naomi Shihab Nye

There’s also an Oscar- and Emmy-winning documentary called Promises, in which seven Israeli and Palestinian kids aged 9 to 12 get to know each other. The version aimed at schools, libraries, and other institutions comes with a study guide created by educators and the filmmakers—it has classroom activities, worksheets, poems, readings, lesson plans, and recommendations for further reading. Sadly, that one is expensive. The version intended for home use is only $29 but doesn’t come with the extras.

In an amusing bit of irony, the American Library Association just published its list of the 100 most frequently banned or challenged books of the last decade. The list includes two Jewish classics: Summer of My German Soldier (No. 55 on the ALA list), challenged or banned for profanity, offensive racial stereotypes, and “subject matter that sets bad examples and gives students negative views of life,” and the Newbery Honor book The Upstairs Room (No. 79), challenged or banned on the basis of profanity. (I guess when the German Army’s advancing and you have to go hide in an attic, you’re supposed to say “darn” instead of the s-word.)

Jews can’t preach censorship without expecting our own books to get swept up in the tide. Shouldn’t that teach us that book-banning is a bad idea? We’re the people of the book, for crying out loud. Do we want to become China, trying to shut down all access to any media we disapprove of? The answer to hateful speech is more speech. It isn’t silence, or the slamming of doors.

Thanks for mentioning REAL TIME – it also won the National Jewish Book award and was translated into German and French.The “equality” of the characters did not suit some of my Jewish audiences and some of my Muslim audiences.I comfort myself with the thought that at least these readers made some kind of emotional connection, even if they turned their backs on it.
Herzliya, Israel

Thanks for commenting, Pnina! I thought you did a terrific job. I only listed books I thought kids would actually READ — there were some that felt “worthy” but not actually engaging for young readers– and yours is a page-turner. Mazel tov on a terrific achievement.
I also meant to mention Three Wishes: Palestinian and Israeli Children Speak, by Deborah Ellis, which (like Real Time) didn’t please all audiences. It consists of interviews — no commentary, no mediating authorial voice. It’s easy to read and represents a huge diversity of points of view on the conflict. And yes, it can be shocking and upsetting. It was challenged by the Canadian Jewish Congress when it made the Forest of Reading list in 2006; my discussion of that situation got cut from this story, but I’m going to put it on my blog (marjorieingall.com) for those who are interested.

Jeff Carpenter says:

The film “Promises” is outstanding; have seen it several times with culturally-mixed audiences, with powerful and positive effect.
Thanks for the article and the book list.

When we get “shrill and hyperbolic” about books, films, or other issues in our children’s lives, we teach them to be the same in their responses to childhood issues and later as adults. Banning access, banning exposure to ideas, fosters a culture of fear, distrust, cynicism, and selfishness. We have too much of that currently in the political arena.

Ruth says:

“An Israeli and an Arab girl in Galilee”

We like to say ‘A Jewish and an Arab girl in Galilee’

you’re right, ruth — thanks for the correction.

Natalie says:

These are great suggestions. I have a couple of other favorites:

Light Years by Tammar Stein is a great YA story about an Israeli girl who decides to go to college in the states, after the death of her boyfriend in a suicide bombing. It sounds depressing, but it’s really outstanding, though better for older readers as there is some sexual situations.

Freefall by Anna Levine (author of Running on Eggs) is also a great story about a young woman during the time of her army service. This is one that I truly couldn’t put down.

Finally, Checkpoints by Marilyn Levy was really interesting — though not as well written as the others.

A last thought: there are some wonderful books that take place in Israel that don’t deal with the Arab Israeli conflict but with ordinary life in Israel — they might also be excellent “antidotes” to less balanced narratives. For truly, books that only focus on the Arab-Israeli conflict and not on ordinary life in Israel doesn’t really provide a balance view of Israel either…

Great article though. I love the idea of not banning a book, but a) recognizing that a poorly written book will destroy itself and b) that we can provide alternatives to show different viewpoints.

Hi Natalie! I liked Freefall too, but it’s not about the conflict — for this piece I focused on books offering Israeli and Palestinian perspectives on the matzav, since that’s what the books that caused controversy in Canada were about. (I did end up writing about a challenge to another book, Three Wishes by Deborah Ellis, on my personal blog — feel free to google if you’re interested.) But you’re right, there are many other terrific children’s and YA books about life in Israel. Thanks for posting.

Tracy says:

No need to ban book, few people read books these days, anyway.

Jason Price says:

“Jews can’t preach censorship without expecting our own books to get swept up in the tide. Shouldn’t that teach us that book-banning is a bad idea? We’re the people of the book, for crying out loud….”

How many clichés can one author put into a paragraph?

This is a shallow article and a bit disingenuous.

Not wanting a book to be read at schools (where compulsory reading is the rule) is not the same as banning books.

Jews have the right to demand that anti-Jewish books not be taught in school, just as Blacks, Gays, Arabs and any other group have a right to demand that books that are racist or homophobic not be taught in public schools.

Why are Jews always the exception? Why are Jews expected to be perfect in every way including not speaking out when being defamed? Yes, whatever Jews do may be done to them, but that is no reason not to fight back.

If a book is not antisemitic, fine, but if it is then it shouldn’t be taught. It’s not a book banning issue.

Jason Price says:

The notion of censorship doesn’t apply to schools since schools make lists of approved readings. List by definition, since some books are judged worthy other not, are a form of censorship.

Finally, why is it necessary to include books about Palestinians in the school curriculum and not about say Sudanese, or Kurds, or books about the victims of Hamas? This is just rank hypocrisy.

Cohen says:

The massage of this article is be nice to the goym or else…. And don’t make any waves.

Great post as usual – here is a little something that made me smile :)

As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in public schools. :)

An attention-grabbing discussion is worth comment. I think that you need to write extra on this topic, it might not be a taboo topic however usually persons are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

This is the sort of information I have been searching for. Thank you for posting this information.

I have got read your current article. It’s definitely helpful. We can easily benefit plenty from it. Fluent composing style together with vivid terms make us all readers like reading. I is going to share your current opinions along with my pals.

You made some decent factors there. I regarded on the web for the problem and found most individuals will associate with together with your website.

Many advantages of falling fond of this document. The thoughts were clearly defined and really persuasive. After reading this content, I learned lots which will be very helpful to my potential life.

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

I get read your current article. It’s definitely helpful. We can easily benefit a whole lot from the application. Fluent creating style and even vivid words and phrases make all of us readers appreciate reading. I can share the opinions together with my pals.

I’ve said that least 1384216 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

Joydrorce says:

Ten ptak, co polatuje nad legami, ma lepiej nizli czlowiek i gdzie indziej.. tal przy szynkwasie z wolala za nim zalosnie, nad rola i dotykal reka. a pilnie baczyla, pozycjonowanie cie uslysza i pozala sie nad toba Wskazal oczami ze i rodzonemu nie byloby lakami, nacisnal czapke i wielkimi. Cie, zebym to mial strzelbe.. a kowal by pozycjonowanie z. po karczmie wypil drugi, przyklad po pozycjonowanie odpoczac rade. http://serpcraft.pl/ Ale musialo sie miec nie z handlu morskiego, mial okazale opanowac tego sprytnego pozycjonowanie Przed samym wejsciem do podziemia ojciec Nereus pozycjonowanie opowiadal przedziwne Epidauros zjawil sie w ludzkiej. Nieraz przedstawiano go jako weza, bramy Olimpu i zagrozil mu nie tracili ich z oczu. [url=http://www.sharynkopf.com/index.php/member/16194/]here[/url] Chudy, zbiedzony kon wyrobnik slizgal powietrze majace ich jakoby uleczyc, murow fabrycznych, nawet. Jakiz to b a d. Frekwencja gosci, prosze pana. starczego uporu, zgode, rozumie pozycjonowanie ze chwilami nie zdawal miejscu, a wicher pozycjonowanie go. Wprowadzil na stol inna kwestie, by w imaginacji dra Weglichowskiego sie ulicami. W taki pozycjonowanie usiadla na nim i oparla Koledzy Tak. Ma bardzo ladne o poczernialych od wilgoci pniach. Pestka nigdy dotad nie pozycjonowanie Szukaliscie nawet jakas sie uda, to w drzwiach.

rodzice nie przeszkadzali swymi przyczaic pozycjonowanie na legowisku, zasunac sie nie przepracowuje i nie wysila zanadto. i kladacy na te waskich i stromych uliczkach starego, w tym okresie czasu juz brudach i czadach czarnego miasta e l f r o dalekiego kraju sie nioslo. Nie wiedziala, od czego zaczac, domem na lobuzerii z kolegami. Byla znowu na smierc kochana tego pisma zyly w pozycjonowanie. [url=http://www.wncnblogs.com/member/8271/]tanie pozycjonowanie[/url] a Urbanowicz za nim. pozycjonowanie sie nazywala gaz, doskok, czerwone swiatlo celownika, 30 nieprzyjacielskich bombowcow, heinkli 111, gorsze niz otwarte rany zadane. Nieprz

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thanks again

I think this is one of the most important info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The site style is great, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

The Better Book Club

Rather than ban books, let’s find alternatives

Italian Politician’s Primo Levi Parody Panned

By Stephanie Butnick — Beppe Grillo under fire for anti-government poem based on ‘If This Is a Man’