The Suburb Not Taken

City or subdivision: Where’s the best place to raise kids?

My kids are frolicking in green. Everything around us is green—huge verdant lawns, graceful willow trees. Every day, Josie and Maxie take a yellow school bus past green cornfields and farm stands brimming with fresh tomatoes and pickling cucumbers.

It’s beautiful here in Wisconsin, where we’re visiting my in-laws for a couple of weeks. My kids love the local JCC camp because it has a Wibit, a giant inflatable obstacle course in the lake that is apparently the coolest thing ever made in the course of human history. On weekends, they go to the JCC pool, which has its own water park, featuring a series of slippery frog-shaped semisubmerged lily pads you traverse by clinging to a rope suspended above the pool. There’s a climbing wall arcing high over the water—if you fall from the wall, you land in the pool, sometimes upside down or sideways. There are a million fabulous, fun ways to hurt yourself in Jewish Wisconsin. Such glories would never fly in litigious NYC.

After dinner, the kids race out the back door. My in-laws’ yard is huge and the grass is pillowy and the lawns blend one into the next. It’s just like The Backyardigans. There are no gates, no fences. The house behind my in-laws’ has a huge swing set and a tree house. The one two doors over has a backyard trampoline. The kids run barefoot through the yards of the subdivision, other kids joining in and peeling away, everyone playing with friendly dogs and shrieking.

Some mornings, Jonathan gets up at 4 a.m. to go fishing with his dad on Lake Michigan. He brings home lake trout, coho and chinook salmon. It’s like he’s a goy. We drive to the smokehouse and, voilà, we have break-fast after Yom Kippur covered. And our friends and relatives’ break-fasts, too.

All the moms here have perfect manicures and wear gym pants when they drop their kids at the camp bus stop with a kiss. There are no dads at the bus. There are no nannies. Everyone I have talked to in the past week has been Jewish, with the possible exception of the guy who scooped our frozen custard. (His name tag did say “Neil,” so who can say.) Jewish day camp here costs a quarter of what it does in NYC.

My in-laws’ home is the only place my children have seen wall-to-wall carpet. When Maxie was younger, she used to sit dreamily in the middle of my sister-in-law Ellen’s huge childhood bedroom, doing nothing but digging her fingers into the bubble-gum-pink plush pile, brushing it back and forth with the flat of her small hand. At home, she sleeps in a bunk bed in a room the size of a veal pen. Here, she and Josie could each have their own room. They’d never have to step over a mostly empty 40-ounce bottle of malt liquor or a puddle of vomit on the stoop.

The other day Josie said, “Why can’t we live here?” Jonathan replied, “Well, it’s fun when you’re little. But when you get older, there’s not a lot to do. You can’t go anywhere unless someone drives you. You can’t bike to your friend’s house in the winter. When you’re a teenager, you can’t have a job unless you have a car.” Josie pondered this and decided: “Let’s live here until I’m 10.”

Seeing the kids’ bliss, I can’t help thinking about the trade-offs we’ve made. As Jonathan is fond of saying, “In New York City, the hard things are easy and the easy things are hard.” Just getting groceries in Manhattan is a thing. In Wisconsin, you drive to a big Trader Joe’s with a big parking lot and big aisles and push your big cart (and they give your kid a balloon) and you drive home and unload the groceries from your two-car garage into your kitchen. In the East Village, we lug a finger-pinching wheelie on uneven sidewalks and teeth-rattling curbs to a sardine-packed T.J.’s, then plan to stay home for our two-hour delivery window, what with not having a doorman. Jonathan and I work so hard and yet we’re barely getting by. If we lived in this subdivision, we could have a huge house and vacations. And my nails would look awesome.

But I ache thinking about what I’d give up. I love the diversity of my kids’ school, its progressiveness, the fact that it’s a block from my house. I love the quirky public art events on Governor’s Island and gallery shows like the one we just saw, in which an artist asked all his girlfriends to make him a cake and then photographed it—a chronicle of a romantic life in pastry. I love the fact that as teenagers my kids will never drive drunk. I love that no one blinks at families with two dads and that the parents of Maxie’s best pal speak Arabic at home. I love that we live in the heart of Jewish immigrant history, and Josie shares my obsession with the Triangle Factory Fire and the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. I love that the other day at 8:45 a.m. on First Avenue, a Japanese man with long hair, a top hat, tails, and teeny-tiny bike shorts smiled at me. I smiled back, and he flipped up a little sign around his neck that said, “Your smile is beautiful.” In NYC, I have strange, wonderful moments of connection like that all the time.

Wisconsin is a warm bath; NYC is a leap into an icy rock pool. Wisconsin is a promised land of comfort and ease beyond our ancestors’ wildest dreams. I think about the 1930s and 1940s, when refugees from Europe were figuring out where to go: America or Palestine? They too could choose soothing or invigorating. Either choice was valid. But Jonathan and I identify with the folks who chose vigilance and effort. Ultimately, more often than not, we feel purified and engaged by the struggle. Our kids, in their veal-pen room, do gain a pluralistic, mind-expanding education. It’s terrible not to be shielded from homelessness and mental illness, but it’s also thought-provoking: The need for tikkun olam is right in your dewy, open little face. It’s never theoretical.

Roads are constantly diverging into yellow (or in this case, green) woods—I’d never presume to tell someone else which one to travel by. But for now, we intend to stay on ours.

Gene says:

As we say out here in the boonies or the provinces (see Steinberg map of USA), there is no one quite as provincial as a New Yorker. Life flourishes and Jewish kids are raised (some going fishing) in suburbs, big towns, small towns and college towns. And yes, life does offer variety, often right next door or across the yard and not out on an anonymous city street.

I find this smug, self-satisfied article to be loaded with stereotypes (nails, wall-to-wall carpeting, mothers in gym clothes), but the people are missing.

Jewish life in the USA is not New York-centric, yet many Jewish publications are. Wake up and look around, past the Steinberg map!

Ridiculous 30 year old stereotypes. We live in suburban Northern Virginia, and my neighbors are Chinese, Indian, Ethopian, and who knows what else. In many ways Fairfax County is more diverse than New York, and I’m a native New Yorker. News flash: not everyone can afford to live in Manhattan with kids, and even if we could, once you’ve seen the outside world, there’s much less of a desire to cloister yourself in “the city.”

Frayed Knot says:

Please, don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back for choosing to “struggle” by the living in NYC. To equate your choice to live in NYC the choice of those pioneers who battled against the hardships of Mandatory period Palestine is the height of narcissism and self-aggrandizement.

renee says:

There is a middle ground: the small city. Here in Portland, Maine, we have: 4 synagogues, a Jewish day camp on a lake, the Most Diverse Elementary School in Northern New England, a working waterfront, my one-car family of 4, and the beach 10 minutes away. Trader Joe’s is opening in November.

As always, Marjorie, you have captured so much in so few words. I don’t have kids, but in preparation for “real” adulthood, I’m leaving DC for the suburbs of Ohio in two months – I have chosen the other path. And I can’t wait to get back to the suburbs!

When husband and I decide to start a family, we will also be leaving behind everything we love about DC: the cosmopolitan, the comfortable, and the exotic, to move to those maligned suburbs of Philadelphia, to be closer to family and breathable, affordable real estate and I am happy about it.

Living in the suburbs can be placating and cloying only if you let it. I grew up in a relatively tame, bland suburb and yet constantly learned new things thanks to my ima who taught me to hunger for knowledge about the world through books if I couldn’t get it firsthand. Some in New York never go further than their local Starbucks, some suburban Jewish kids learn about Ladino. It’s all up to the parents, really.

I used to live in suburban NJ, but when, on seeing a Chinese man, my five-year-old asked “What restaurant does he own?” I knew I had to get going back to where we belonged. Of course, Manhattan’s not for everybody…. to each her/his own. Suburbs, city, each with its merits and problems…. wherever you’re comfortable, happy and fulfilled.

Linda says:

We live in Skokie, a suburb of Chicago that is as diverse a community as I can imagine. My daughter’s friends are Indian, Assyrian, Hispanic, Sudanese, African-American, Phillipina and even Jewish. The schools and park district are phenomenal. Our neighbors tend to be uber-educated but of modest of income (e.g., teachers, writers, musicians, etc.) At our child’s bus stop, you would see stay-at-home dads like my husband, nannies, older siblings, and stay-at-home moms. Within 5 miles, we have theaters for both movies and live performance, restaurants that are Thai, Chinese, Indian, Jamaican, Kosher, Ethiopian, Japanese, Afghan, Italian, etc. The downside is that my commute to downtown Chicago is an hour each way. But yeah, I take public transportation.

Pesele says:

There is nothing quite so condescending as “Well, I’m doing it [whatever "it" may be] THIS way, which is SO wonderful for these reasons, but of course, it’s not for everyone.”
I grew up north of Chicago, have family around the country, and live in a suburb on the far reaches of the Bay Area. My neighbors include a lesbian couple, a family that hunts and raises hounds, several elderly couples, an African-American family, a retired Asian couple, and a few Jews. People here make wine, raise farm animals, commute unfortunate distances, and work at the local research lab.
I’ve visited New York and was suitably impressed–it’s terrific. I would be happy to live there, were circumstances different. But, Marjorie, I don’t have the sense that you would be willing to live anywhere but New York. And that, as the first post pointed out, is indeed provincial.

Big city, yes anyday. New York, never. BTW, is NYC really in the United States?

- r.

Sarah says:

LOL. My son has his own room the size of my old living room in New York….yet my city is mega diverse, full of ethnicity, spectacle and culture.

I miss New York sometimes, but really, it has been a revelation discovering how great it can be elsewhere. New Yorkers, keep enjoying your veal pen rooms, shopping in your new Target and keeping prices lower for the rest of us. :)

The line that really grabbed me was “It’s like he’s a goy,” referring to the writer’s husband who got up early to go fishing. It is a shame that the writer is still carrying around these old stereotypes, of what Jews do (or don’t do, or shouldn’t do), although I know these early beliefs are hard to shed. I grew up in New England in the 1970′s where I thought that only goyim owned sailboats, yachts, etc…but in Israel, there is a Tel Aviv marina full of boats and yachts, presumably owned by Jews. Now I live in a mountainous state where I have met other Jews who climb, hike, backpack. Hopefully the writer’s children will learn, wherever they live, that being Jewish does not limit them from exploring all kinds of activities and expressing themselves in a variety of ways.

JCarpenter says:

We have lived for 28 years in a southwestern burb of Chicago, where I taught h.s. and was primary care-giver to our three children in the summer months. The primary feature of “daddy-camp” was at least once a week to go into Chicago to a museum or park or concert. By the time they were in h.s. they were well-acquainted with the city, the train-system, and ethnic restaurants, in contrast to their burbie friends who feared the city and hung out at the mall. My youngest son, now an adult, prefers the city, where he can live without dependence on an auto.

Ellen from Brooklyn says:

Having never lived in the suburbs but not willing to live in a moderately gritty part of Manhattan, I would say that the suburbs make me uncomfortable too. But I like having some of the comforts of the suburbs in my area. You know, driveways, lawns, parking lots for your supermarkets, but still have subway train service that is nearby. Southern Brooklyn, yeah!

Elisheva says:

Courage, Marjorie. My teenagers now take the subway or their bikes independently all over the five boros — to the pay-what-you-wish museums, to ComicCon, to school uptown and to free concerts and the High Line downtown — and a steady stream of their suburban friends sleep over on our crowded but enticingly urban floor all year long. Yeah, everything’s a trade-off, and there are lots of ways to have a good life– but Josie will indeed by 10 before you know it, and likely to thank you for this decision.

BH in Iowa says:

“a Japanese man with long hair, a top hat, tails, and teeny-tiny bike shorts smiled at me…”

and that’s when I got on the FIRST plane back to Iowa!

oy…what condescending, narcissistic, irrational nonsense…filled with all the hateful stereotypical descriptions of how we are supposed to live and behave…I spent 25 years teaching in a small town in MN and when a very well respected Holocaust scholar (and close friend) visited us in our home overlooking the MN river on 4 acres the first thing he said was “Jews live here???”…I was born in Brooklyn, lived in Queens, LI, MI, TN, MN, NC and there are lots of diverse interesting places and many ways to be a Jew…

California Gal says:

Come on. Really? Have you been anywhere EXCEPT NYC and Wisconsin? Or have you only flown from one place to the other, not appreciating what is in between, and beyond? The San Francisco Bay Area is one of the most diverse areas in the country, with both city and (horrors) many suburbs.
Oh and Jews live here also.
I do like reading your columns, they resonate with me. Sometimes. But try looking beyond your stereotypic view of what the rest of the country(!) is like. You may be wrong.

Try Montclair. Barefoot kids in backyards, diversity, & 12 miles from Manhattan.

Hmmm -I don’t recall from the column where it said all suburbs are alike. Are posters here willfully missing that she’s talking about a specific subdivision in Wisconsin? The ‘burbs in Wisconsin aren’t known for their diversity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin#Demographics

I do love the point of this column. It is something more and more people struggle with as we move around – what do we get from where we choose to live and can we deal with what we’re missing out on. I have lived all over the country, in the boonies and cities, and picking a place to raise my children has been about compromise and recognizing what I value for myself and my family. I get peeks into other people’s lives and think “nope! not for me!” or “ah, that would be nice too.” But, my choices work for me. Doesn’t mean your choices suck.

Serge says:

Wisconsin ain’t the suburbs. It’s the country. In most major cities, the suburbs these days is where diversity teems and where new immigrants settle — and those, not Wisconsin, are the suburbs that are home to an overwhelming majority of suburban Jews. “The City”, by contrast, usually involves a homogeneous Ashkenazi second or third or fourth generation Jewish community which really doesn’t get diversity and where only the wealthiest can afford to live. This article only demonstrates this cultural divide. Suburbs? Didn’t read about them here.

Joan, love that story! And Elisheva, I assume you are the same person who commented on the Israel story. You HAVE to be a writer. Right?

A lot of commenters seem to be responding to a piece I did not write. (Shocker.) I was talking about ONE specific suburb, where my in-laws live, where I was ensconced as I wrote the piece, imagining what it might be like to live there myself. Yes, I have been to other places in America. No, I was not writing about those places. Because where you live? OMG, IT’S TOTALLY AWESOME.

Seriously, an observation: My next column is about a terrific book that teaches science literacy to kids; the author mentions that self-reported data are colored by the fact that people tend to say they’re happy with their choices. I’m happy (more than not) with the city. Others are happy (more than not) with the suburbs they’ve chosen. It’s SCIENCE! And YAY FOR ALL OF US! I am not sneering at other people’s choices, and it would be nice (though of course, shocking) if commenters didn’t sneer at mine. Granted, this pieces’s subhed is reductive. But the piece itself is pretty clearly specific rather than general; I enumerated stuff I liked and disliked in each place. (Mmm, urban vomit.) And I wonder about the knee-jerk defensiveness that makes people think I was offering a sweeping condemnation of all suburbs.

Marjorie,
Maybe the commentators were taking into account the headline and the sub-headline which suggested that the one specific subdivision in Wisconsin was stand-in for “suburbs” in general. While that may be unfair to you and to your intentions, it’s not totally unreasonable.
(So perhaps you should be complaining to the website editors.)
On the other hand, if the piece is really just about one specific place in Wisconsin where your in-laws live vs. one specific place in Manhattan where you live as filtered through the particular circumstances of the Marjorie-Jonathan-Josie family, then who cares other than your immediate family and friends? Why does the reader of Tablet magazine need to know your thoughts on this personal matter?
I think there is a lot to be said about the different spatial configurations of Jewish life in North America–the stereotype is that the only two choices are suburb and city. In fact, there are a lot of different kinds of suburbs and a lot of different kinds of city neighborhoods that Jews live in. So you could have sparked an interesting discussion here. But the cumulative effect of your piece and the unfortunate choice of the headline writers was to reinforce the stereotype rather than explore the complex reality. I think that’s what your commentators have responded to, perhaps more angrily than needed.

howard says:

This seems like a pretty global and universal American Jewish story… not just one about Wisconsin.

No matter how you slice it, New York is the American Jewish Jerusalem. I was born there, but left as a child. My children have never even been there.

There are a million Jewish stories in America, many of them never touch New York. But just as Israel or hutz l’aretz is sort of the basic international Jewish choice, it’s really not unreasonable to posit “New York” or somewhere else as the basic American Jewish reality. And a suburb in Wisconsin is one of those other places, and so is Philadelphia and Portland Oregon and Texas. But so many Jewish stories in America go back to and through New York. And in terms of percentages, isn’t New York still the most Jewish American city? (LA may be catching up… I don’t know.)

The question of New York or somewhere else really is archetypal. I don’t think the Jewish American future is in New York. The future lies in Wisconsin, Los Angeles, Portland, and God knows where else, spread out across the great American landscape. But that doesn’t mean that New York doesn’t hold a special place in Jewish historical geography and even in current Jewish life.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to live there!

a. nathan says:

Well,

This has been interesting. I live in the suburbs of Milwaukee (yes, it is the suburbs, and no, it’s not the country). Probably grew up in the specific suburb you’re talking about, or one very similar. I went to the JCC pool and JCC camp in the summer growing up. I have had the Kopps custard you describe, and its the best in the world.

Anyways, it’s a very accurate description, and this author brings up a dilemma confronting young people thinking about starting families (Jewish families, at that). There are undoubtedly tradeoffs (just as there are in deciding whether to live in Beer Sheva or Tel Aviv, for instance). I think the comments above are interesting, but focus too much on debating small technical points of the article and not confronting the larger themes that are raised.

Abigail Pickus says:

I liked this piece. I think Marjorie is a really good writer and captures well the differences between life in NYC versus suburban Wisconsin. I think people get so defensive because they feel judged about the choices they made when, in my opinion, this was just one person’s lens on what she sees as two very different ways to live.

Having lived in both the suburbs and the city and now in Israel, I do think there is truth to what she says. Because even if Skokie, for example, is full of many different types of people (which it is), because it is a suburb and suburbia is about privacy and isolation and homes with lawns, etc, being exposed to neighbors from different cultures in that setting is very different from being exposed to different people in a place like the East Village where people are literally on top of one another. And even the experience of living in an apartment building in a suburb is different from one in an urban center.

So I don’t think she’s saying one place is bad and the other good or that her choice is more noble – only that they are different. And she’s right about that.

Allison says:

Marjorie, you say in the comments section that many readers responded to a piece you did not write. If that many people missed your point, maybe you didn’t make your point clearly.

Also, you do suggest you made a tougher and worthier choice by living in Manhattan rather than the suburbs: “Jonathan and I identify with the folks who chose vigilance and effort.” When you imply that people living in the suburbs took the easy way out, you can’t be surprised if some of them disagree. But don’t you own your own home in Manhattan? With a swimming pool in the backyard? Maybe the main difference between you and a peer who lives in a Wisconsin suburb is that you have more money.

Jessica says:

Where you live is not important — it’s how you live. Some of us New Yorkers are compelled by what we see around us every day to work and volunteer to improve the lives of the people who aren’t as lucky as we are and to teach our children that this engagement is the right thing to do. Some of us New Yorkers blithely ignore what we see.

I suspect this is true for suburbanites as well, but I would like to hear from them whether the plight of others is a more abstract, a more through-the car-window phenomenon–and whether the compulsion to act is still acute.

Surprising, that an extended discussion on this topic should cover the territory between Target and the bodega, the backyard and the bunkbed, the driveway and the subway, and the sea of cultural values in between – - and totally miss the non-material and non-ethereal issue that makes it all tick: A longing for close-knit and supportive community, versus a high premium on individualism and privacy. Is your family’s story largely collective, or is it deeply personal? And where is it easier to live out each type of narrative?

In very broad strokes, for argument’s sake: Those manicured hands regularly make dinner for sick friends, but they can also pry, which can be tough on individuals. That city sense raises worldly kids, but can also prefer alienation and loneliness (which can be tough on a family) over any hint of conformity. The matter of largely belonging to a group vs. largely maintaining your boundaries – each with its own set of costs and rewards – is far more central, I think, to the heart of the matter than how many square feet you have to park your boat or your butt.

Also surprising, by the way – how *mean* people get when they can hide behind a keyboard. Relax, Gen X. Our kids have taught us: We’re all in this together.

Claudia says:

As someone who raised both my adult children in the suburbs, I can safely say that you don’t need the homeless man on the corner to teach tikkun olam. There are plenty of families with two dads (or two moms) as well as a plethora of people who speak many languages other than English at home. And after 9/11 my Muslim neighbors were not shunned by our Haitian, Cuban and African American neighbors. We were all “in this together.” I remember feeling the same way about the suburbs as the writer, thirty years ago when my husband and I were deciding whether or not to leave the city. My mother, who grew up in the South Bronx (1930′s) very wisely reminded me that if your eyes, ears and mind were open, it didn’t matter where you chose to live. BTW, our kids live in New York and Chicago.

pamela says:

We live in a suburb of New Orleans and my kids attend Jewish summer camp in Utica, Mississippi. Life in a small town, or suburb, isn’t as exciting as living in the city, but for us, with four kids, the choice was a no-brainer. Better public schools, large yards, swimming pools, much lower crime rate than the city, wildlife, these were the trade-offs that were important to us.

Jill Davidson says:

“Those were the trade-offs that were important to us” – that captures Marjorie’s point. What choices have you made or will you make to live the life that’s works best for you, your family, and your values? Jessica’s point, that it’s even more about how you live than where, really resonates with me, too. In my family’s case, we find that where we live (East Side of Providence, Rhode Island) fits well with how we want to live, with all of the inevitable trade-offs and delights.

observer says:

Marjorie Ingall, shame on you! Your claims are disingenuous, at best. At worst, they are hurtful, elitist, arrogant and patently false. You harm not only your own reputation, but that of any publication foolish enough to give your bigotry an outlet, as well the harm you do diminishing the standing of the entire US Jewry. You wrote: “I’d never presume to tell someone else which [road] to travel by,” and yet you unleashed an embarrassingly ugly and hate-filled screed on parents of gifted (or GIIIIIIIIIIIIFTED, as you so nastily put it) children. You also claim: “I am not sneering at other people’s choices,” while you are blatantly sneering at other people’s choices. Tablet Magazine would do well to fire you. You are an albatross around its neck. You are insensitive. You are a bully. SHAME ON YOU, MARJORIE INGALL! SHAME ON TABLET MAGAZINE!

Cheeshead in Recovery says:

The North Shore of Milwaukee and Madison are the only cities in Wisconsin with the JCC’s that Marjorie discribes, and those two cities are hardly small ‘burgs. The rest of the state, the Jewish communities are are challenged (at best) and in some cases surviving stagnant or gentrifying. I grew up in one of those stagnant/gentrifying communities and it makes me sad thinking about it. Most of my Jewish peers who I grew up with have left our hometown and are now in large metropolitan areas… myself included.

Life is all about choices, isn’t it?

Rebecca says:

Funny, I too wrote about my trips to Milwaukee:

Although I think that some of the commenters were a bit too harsh, they do make a point that there is a lot of diversity across the country, not just in NYC. Additonally, I think it’s hard to disagree that NYC is not just a diverse place, but it is also home to probably the only Aristocracy in the United States. Let’s not forget that it is just a short subway ride up to the Upper East Side, where homophobia, racism and classism is far more common than it is in the North East Shore of Milwaukee.

We are going to send our kids to summer camp in Wisconsin in part because I love it so much there, but also in order to avoid some of the materialism and general snobbery of the coasts. I used to find it infuriating how surprised people would act when they finally discover the intelligence, culture and incredibly strong community found in cities like Milwaukee. Now I just smile. Let it be my family’s (shared) secret.

Cheers.

Ok I changed it to my N.O. shit tryna bounce round this house maybe ill get more done!!

Thanks for the post. My partner and i have continually noticed that most people are eager to lose weight when they wish to look slim along with attractive. Having said that, they do not generally realize that there are other benefits for you to losing weight as well. Doctors say that overweight people suffer from a variety of disorders that can be perfectely attributed to their particular excess weight. The good thing is that people who’re overweight and suffering from a variety of diseases can reduce the severity of the illnesses by losing weight. You possibly can see a progressive but noticeable improvement in health while even a small amount of weight-loss is realized gywl512.

I really like the items you put in here. Very pertinent information. Consider yourself book marked.

For what its worth, the layout is undoubtedly wonderful. You know how to balance writing and images/videos. However, I cant get over how little you really bring to light here. I think that everyones said the exact same factor that youve said over and over once more. Dont you think its time for something more?

Can I just say what a aid to search out someone who truly knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know how you can carry an issue to light and make it important. More individuals must learn this and understand this facet of the story. I cant believe youre not more standard because you definitely have the gift.

Generally I do not learn article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, very great article.

After research a couple of of the blog posts in your website now, and I truly like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and can be checking back soon. Pls take a look at my web page as well and let me know what you think.

I did however expertise several technical points using this website, as I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

The Suburb Not Taken

City or subdivision: Where’s the best place to raise kids?

I Grew Up in Toronto, but You Can’t Tell From My Accent

By Karen E. H. Skinazi — I don’t talk like my fellow Torontonians because I was raised inside the ‘Bathurst Bubble,’ the city’s Jewish community