Back to My Roots

After my grandparents came to America, they changed our name. Decades later, I changed it back—and rediscovered a lost history.

(Photoillustration Tablet Magazine; original photo iStockphoto.com)

I took a sabbatical at the East-West Center in Honolulu, and the office of Lt. Gov. Benjamin Cayetano was helpful in walking me through the paperwork. Most Americans are immigrants, of course, but it felt somehow suitable to go back to my Polish roots in the Hawaiian melting pot. Fannie, the Chinese woman in the East-West Center in charge of aloha (that’s her real job description), organized a quasi-Chinese ceremony—although we substituted bursting balloons for the more traditional, but much louder, firecrackers.

I changed my name, not so much because I feel Polish (I don’t speak a word) but because I don’t feel German (and I certainly don’t feel like a quail, which is how Wachtel translates). Somehow it feels right. The 19th-century Scottish philosopher Thomas Carlyle recognized that a name can shape a life, reflecting, “what mystic influence does it not send inwards, even to the centre.”

Almost as cosmic proof that I chose rightly, odd and pleasant things began to occur. Strangers see my complicated name in a publication and write to me, asking if, just possibly, we might be related. A newly found cousin in Montreal, Ari Sochaczewski, invited me to his son’s bar mitzvah. I told a friend in Basel, Switzerland, about the name change, and she explained that she had a friend, Simon Sochaczewski, also in Basel, with a similar name. We couldn’t possibly be related, I thought, but she spelled his name and it had the same odd concurrence of Slavic consonants. I called him, learned about his service in the Résistance in France. He mentioned a relative who had moved to Brooklyn. “I’m from Brooklyn!” I said, and immediately called Aunt Syd. “Sure, Jack Sachs,” she remembered, explaining that his branch of the family had Anglicized the name rather than changing it completely, as ours had done. I called Simon back and we figured out that we are second cousins, I think (I’m not very good at figuring out these family trees). Right here in Switzerland.

When I’d first decided to make the name change, back in 1992, I called my aunt, who started all this trouble by wanting to go to school nearly a century ago. And that’s when I found out that more than one name had been changed.

She calls herself Syd, and I asked her why. “My name was Sadie,” she explained, “but I never liked that name so I changed it to Syd.”

“But your name isn’t Sadie,” I said. “It’s Sarah. Says so right here on the immigration documents they filled out when you got off the boat at Ellis Island. ‘Sarah. Four years old. Nationality: Russia. Race: Jewish. Final destination: Brooklyn.’ It says here you were ‘illiterate.’ ”

“Oh my,” my then-80-something aunt replied. “If I had known that I never would have changed my name. I rather like the name Sarah, don’t you?”

1 2View as single page
bucky says:

Here is a thought Paul. Instead of getting back to your “roots” by taking on a name, here is a thought…open a Talmud, Chumash or similar and start learning.

The whole exercise and article just seems foolish.

Wonderful story – a Sochaczewski by any other name is still a Sochaczewski.

HannaH says:

I don’t understand some things you would not known your family history. If you didn’t change your name. To a name that no one can pronouncing in English you live in a English-speaking country. How do you think your ancestors got that Polish name
please do not divide us anymore

Leigh says:

Delightful story — thanks for sharing your “journey” and your lovely sense of wonder and humor.

Great story! My great-grandfather changed his name when he immigrated from Sweden because he thought is was too common. We have completely lost contact with that branch of the family; we don’t even know what part of the country he came from. So congratulations on finding some relatives!

Phil N says:

Since our last names were imposed on us in the 19th century by various European nations, the Jews coming over weren’t too attached to them. The only truely Jewish names are those that are a variation of Kohan and Levi. While our ancestors anglicized their names in the early 20th century, modern Israeli’s are Hebrewcising (if there is such a word) their family names. As for Mr. Sochaczewski’s spelling of his last name, he chose a Polish spelling. Most Jew’s spelled their name phonetically since for their own use they used the Hebrew alphabet. Even if a Jew used a name that was pronounced like Sochaczewski they certainly wouldn’t have spelled it that way.

Slutty McWhore says:

Way to shit on your grandparent’s desire to have a better last name. If it weren’t for their bravery in moving here, they may have ended up in an oven, and you never would have been born. Way to honor them. If you ever trick a female into spreading your inferior Tay-Sachs seed, I hope your kids realize how useless your life was, and they change their name back. They can only hope to be lucky enough to be confused with German.

Rocky says:

My surname has been in the family for over 200 years. It was a paid name as opposed to a free name available to Jews during the assimilation period after Emperor Joseph II of Austria annexed Galicia. If my grandfather had bothered to change it when he left Europe about a century ago, I would not think of changing it back. Why give yourself a lot of spelling problems? Paul is the first Jew I have run across to be enamored with his Polish heritage. Maybe he should change his first name to Pawel. Paul, when you get your new DMV card or passport, check the spelling of your surname very carefully.

ruth says:

You are perpetuating a myth. NAMES WERE NOT CHANGED AT ELLIS ISLAND! Ellis Island clerks worked from ships’ manifests compiled by the shipping companies at the departure port, or at a their ticket offices in Europe. Usually buyer and seller spoke the same languages.

After a ship arrived at a US port, immigration inspectors reviewed the manifest and the information the passengers had supplied. Ellis Island had clerks who spoke many language to question immigrants in their native languages. Blaming Ellis Island took was an easy way out for many immigrants when questioned about the original name.

Phil N. is incorrect. Many, many Jewish last names are Yiddish, derived from the name of the mother, such as Dworkin (from Dvorah), Mirkin (from Mira), Chaikin (from Chaya), Bashevis (from Batsheva), Rifkin (from Rifke), Sirkin (from Soreh), Rocklin (from Rochl), etc.

To the author: I loved this article and share your delight in your journey.

Alana Newhouse says:

@Slutty McWhore*: And why isn’t Paul’s decision equally as brave — and unique to his particular circumstances? Different times call for different measures.

*PS — Yes, I commented here mostly so that I could address something to “Slutty McWhore.” Sue me.

Daniel says:

I have to agree with Phil N. If you were really looking to go back to your original name and your true roots, you should have gone further back to before your Polish name. That was the name imposed on the Jews. I am sitting here in my office in Jerusalem, just a few hundred meters from the Temple Mount with my last name Cohen. I love that my ancient ancestors worked just a few meters away from me. My Grandfather would lie and tell people Cohen was not our real last name (and that it was changed at Ellis Island from a long Russian name) in order to avoid being called on in synagogue. When we found old Russian documents with our true name Cohen on it, we were thrilled. I suggest you continue your journey but go further back. Go back to your true roots Paul.

Matt says:

I love this story and it has made me seriously consider changing my family name back to its original version from Poland. I’d love to talk to the author more about this.

harry melbourne au says:

Paul, great story and thanks for sharing it with us. I was delighted to hear about the relatives you discovered and how gratifying the effort was. Your instincts were good and while your real name may be more challenging to pronounce, let’s remember that anything worthwhile always takes a bit more effort.

woytek says:

I’m almost sure that your family has roots in small city near Warsaw – Sochaczew. In 19th century surnames were provided not only to Jews but for peasants and other people. In Russian part they were sometimes named after place but not only. More info on Sochaczew you can find at: http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/Sochaczew/sochaczew.html#toc774
Concerning Kalisz it is the oldest Polish city and some historicians say that first Polish kings are from Kalisz but this is not yet proven. By the way -ski means in polish the same as -son in english. Last but not least, I like your story. Keep searching.

So my Last name is also Sochaczewski  and pronounced the same way! My grandfather was also from Poland, but he didn’t change he’s last when he got to canada, name its been kept ever since. I love our last name its sooo diffrent and cool :)

Andrew Sokaz says:

I found this report typing my mother maiden name, Sochaczewska. She was not Jew and I have many relatives living in Poland and in America Canada and Germany who are not jew with the same last name. I have never heard of it being a non-relatives name. Meaning all people I know with name descend from single family. Ski, is end word used in Poland to mean son of. (used for daughters is ska.) It was a protected name under Polish law when allowed in counties  until -1919 so that only people related were permitted to use that name. (the laws protected old Prus against claims of inheritance).  I think that you not know spelling name correct. maybe the boat master wrote the name wrong or different spelling. this is very strange and impossible. Maybe came from the small town and ski means from so when move use the name without law to say from this town. This is cool, cool story. I will share. but sorry to write that you mistake.
Do you  know what the name means?  if you do not even why you call yourself that?

One thing is that one of the most prevalent incentives for applying your card is
a cash-back or rebate provision. Generally, you’ll get 1-5% back upon various expenditures.

Depending on the credit card, you may get 1% returning on most expenses, and 5% in
return on expenditures made going to convenience stores,
filling stations, grocery stores plus ‘member merchants’.

These are in fact wonderful ideas in on the topic of blogging.
You have touched some pleasant factors here.
Any way keep up wrinting.

Thankfulness to my father who shared with me on the topic of this webpage, this webpage is actually amazing.

por favor gostaria de saber se os sobrenomes:Araújo,e Queiroz tem origem judaica. grato!

Back to My Roots

The Maccabeats Have a New Song About Israel

By Stephanie Butnick — It’s called ‘Home,’ and its release is extremely well-timed