The Queens of Bollywood

When Jewish women were the leading ladies of Indian cinema

Sulochana (Ruby Myers) and Zillo in Saubhagya Sundari(Courtesy Neepa Majumdar)

Rose Ezra. Ruby Myers. Farhat Ezekiel Nadira. From the earliest years of Bollywood, these and other Jewish actresses garnered starring roles. And while they may have looked somewhat exotic to moviegoers, they came from Baghdadi Jewish families who had been living in India for decades. Reporter Eric Molinsky speaks to film scholars, as well as friends and relatives of these once-beloved but now mostly forgotten stars of Indian cinema, to find out how they became the “go-to girls” for leading female roles in the 1920s, ’30s, and beyond.

Phillip Ernest says:

Very very interesting exposition of a cultural fact that I have long wondered about, many thanks.

m f alam says:

and then there were muslim women who ruled although they kept hindu names to blend in.
madhubal ( mumtaz jahan )
meenakumari
nimmi
begum para
swaran lata
suriya
noor jahan and yes nargis

Samuel Benjamin says:

EXCELLENT MATERIAL I NEEDED FOR PRESENTATION TO MY INDIAN JEWISH COMMUNITY. I will send them a link to your site.

GREAT WORK – KEEP IT UP.
- Sammy Benjamin.

Partha Sur says:

Baghdadi Jews settled in Calcutta (now called Kolkata), India (then only a trading post)around 1580 ! – a full 100 years before the British East India company was established there in 1690 by Job Charnock. So the Baghdadi Jews (and some Armenian Jews and Christians) were the original inhabitants of Calcutta – not Hindu Bengalis.

Cerita says:

I am so very happy to see this, finally someone has spoken about the great Jewish actresses of Indian cinema. I grew up watching Nadira and can never forget the wonderful roles she played. Indian Jewish women were prominent figures in all aspects of Indian life.

As mentioned above so were Muslim women, the great Muslim actresses of Indian cinema were amazing, especially at a time when a woman in Indian cinema was looked down on and considered immoral and against her faith.

Great women that inspire me everyday!

Many landlords will want to verify your references. Cellphone forward to alert potential references, including your former landlord, that they could receive a call. Collect some data to current to landlords/leasing brokers ? they’re going to in all probability ask for it, anyway. This could embrace a credit examine, a resume and pay stubs or tax returns.

Maria Freudenthal von Kleina,M.A. says:

Hallo!
I sing for You beloved,famous world-,classical-,film musical-,operetta-,yiddish melodies.
With the best wishes,
Yours
Maria Freudenthal von kleina,M.A.
VIVA_MARIA_KLEINA@yahoo.fr

Maria Freudenthal von Kleina,M.A. says:

I love Bollywood and Hollywood so much!!!
Herzlichst,
Yours
Maria Freudenthal von Kleina,M.A.
VIVA_MARIA_KLEINA@yahoo.fr

Maria Freudenthal von Kleina,M.A. says:

BOLLYWOOD IS SUPER SUPER SUPER!!!
Yours
Maria FreudenthAl von Kleina,M.A.
VIVA_MARIA_KLEINA@yahoo.fr

Neel says:

I am a Hindu but I have good hearted and kind Jewish lover since 8 yrs.I love him.

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

I’ve said that least 1747140 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

J K Dhaundiyal says:

Madame Nadira was a fascinating personality and the impact that her presence made on any film in which she starred was immense, and of a hugely high-voltage kind. Her debut, opposite the legendary Mr Dilip Kumar, in Mehboob Khan’s Aan in the early 1950s was nothing short of explosive. And, in all her movies since then, her performances were always impeccably polished and essayed in a superbly riveting style that was uniquely her own.

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

Tapan Kumar Mukherjee says:

Ramola who was a Jewish actress should be included in the list of heroines in Hindi cinema under this category. She was a successful actress of the 40s and early 50s of the last century. Dev Anand was her hero in the Hindi film ‘Hum Bhi Insaan Hain’(1948) and ‘Stage’(1951). For details in this regard reference may be made to an article ‘A Tall Order’ by AC Tuli published in the Statesman (Marquee) dated 25th February 2012.

The Queens of Bollywood

When Jewish women were the leading ladies of Indian cinema

Hamas Killed 160 Palestinian Children to Build Tunnels

By Myer Freimann — Militant group used child labor to construct underground network in Gaza