Sobel Family Matzo Cupcakes
9 pieces of matzo, or 3 cups matzo farfel
4 large eggs
1 cup olive oil
2 ounces (1/4 cup) chicken fat
1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease 12 muffin tins.
2. Whirl the matzo or the matzo farfel in a food processor equipped with a steel blade until pulverized. Add 2 cups of tap water and soak for 3 minutes. Then carefully squeeze out the excess water.
3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl and stir in the matzo.
4. Heat the olive oil with the chicken fat in a skillet and sauté the sliced onions until soft and tender. Then stir in the onions and the fat into the matzo-egg mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Then spoon the mixture into the muffin tins.
5. Put the muffin tins into the oven and bake for about 24 minutes, rotating the pan every 8 minutes during baking. Remove when golden brown and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
6. The cupcakes can be frozen and reheated in a 350-degree oven before being served. Serve with the brisket and use for soaking up the gravy!
Yield 12 cupcakes