2 cups dried white beans
1 large onion, chopped
4 tablespoons goose fat (can substitute duck or chicken fat)
1 cup pearl barley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons mild Hungarian paprika
2 goose legs (can substitute duck legs)
1 1/2 pounds hickory-smoked beef brisket
Salt, to taste
1. Soak the beans overnight. Drain.
2. Preheat oven to 275.
3. In large pot, sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons of the goose fat.
4. Add beans, barley, remaining goose fat, pepper, and paprika to pot. Place goose legs and smoked meat on top.
5. Cover mixture with water, making sure water rises about 2 inches above mixture.
6. Cover pot and place in oven for 7-8 hours. Check periodically to make sure it doesn’t dry out. If it looks dry, add water.
7. Taste and add salt as needed—the smoked meat can be very salty.