Safta Miriam’s Schena
1 cup dried chickpeas
1/2 cup dried white beans
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
3 pounds beef flanken
6-7 medium yellow potatoes
1 sweet potato (optional)
7 cloves garlic, divided
2 teaspoons paprika, divided
1 teaspoon turmeric
salt and pepper, to taste
5 eggs in their shells
1 cup wheat berries
1 teaspoon cumin
1 cup rice
1. Soak chickpeas and white beans overnight. Drain.
2. In large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add meat and sear for 2-3 minutes. Remove meat and set aside. Add potatoes to onions and cook another 4 minutes.
3. Add chickpeas and beans, meat, and sweet potato, if using.
4. Add 5 garlic cloves, dates, 1 teaspoon paprika, turmeric, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place the eggs in their shells carefully into the mixture.
6. Cover mixture with enough water so the water is 2 inches above the mixture. Bring to a boil.
7. Put wheat berries, 1 teaspoon paprika, 2 garlic cloves, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste in a plastic turkey or oven bag. Add 2 1/2 cups water and seal the bag.
8. Put rice and salt and pepper to taste in another turkey or oven bag. Add 2 cups water and seal the bag.
9. Place both bags into pot and simmer over low heat overnight, for at least 18 hours. Pot can also be put on top of a blech, a metal sheet used to cover a stovetop to safely enable the eating of hot food on Shabbat. Check periodically to make sure it doesn’t dry out. If it looks dry, add water.