Rafram Chaddad’s Sorba
When Rafram Chaddad was served this meal in Libyan prison, the cooks used camel meat. He recommends trying it with lamb instead.
1 cup dried chickpeas
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 bay leaves
2 pods of cardamom
1 stick of cinnamon
2 lbs. lamb
1 cup orzo
1 tablespoon dried mint
Chopped parsley for garnish
Note: Measurements are rough.
1. Soak a cup of dried chickpeas overnight.
2. The next day, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of a large soup
pot. Add 2 whole cardamom pods, 1 stick of cinnamon, and two bay
3. Add about two pounds of lamb, cut into large dice. Brown the
4. When the meat is browned, add two cups pureed canned
5. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer,
cover, and cook for an hour.
6. Drain the soaked chickpeas and add to the soup. Cook until
the chickpeas are soft, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
7. Add about 1 cup of dry orzo pasta. Cook in soup for recommended time.
8. Add a tablespoon of dried mint. Salt to taste.
9. Serve hot and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Makes 4 servings.