Vegan Farro & Barley Bikkurim Salad
1 cup pearled barley, rinsed
1 cup farro, rinsed
1 tsp. salt, divided
6–8 fresh figs, quartered, or 6 dried figs, chopped
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1/2 cup sliced green grapes
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1–2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. date honey
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. To cook barley, in a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water, barley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cover pan, lower heat, and simmer, undisturbed, until the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Barley can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
2. To cook farro, in a medium saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in the farro and cook, undisturbed, until tender, about 20-25 minutes; drain. Farro can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
3. Combine barley, farro, figs, pomegranate seeds, grapes, and onion in a large bowl. Set aside.
4. To make dressing, combine pomegranate juice, vinegar, mustard, and honey in a small bowl and whisk vigorously. Slowly pour in oil and whisk to emulsify. This can also be made in a food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Pour dressing over salad immediately before serving.
Tip: If you want to make this un-vegan, it would be delicious with some crumbled goat cheese.