Berenjena con Miel (Fried Eggplant With Honey)
Courtesy of La Vara restaurant
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
olive oil for frying
all-purpose flour for coating
3-4 ounces meltable cheese, like mozzarella
2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
1. Soak the eggplant cubes in heavily salted water for 1 hour. They will float, so put a plate over the bowl to keep them submerged. Drain and pat dry.
2. Fill a cast iron pan with approximately 2 inches of olive oil and heat until a thermometer reads 365 degrees.
3. Pour flour onto a large plate. Pass the eggplant cubes through the flour and tap off extra. Fry coated eggplant in batches until they are crisp on the outside and creamy inside.
4. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain. Season with additional kosher salt to taste.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop up cheese into pieces and place in the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Bake until cheese melts.
6. Remove from oven and cover fried eggplant pieces with melted cheese. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with nigella seeds.
*This recipe was not retested by Tablet Magazine.