Lawmaker Disciplined For “Vagina” Comment Cited Judaism

Did we mention Eve Ensler has a Jewish dad?

“And finally, Mr. Speaker, I’m flattered that you’re all so interested my vagina, but ‘no’ means ‘no.’”

Those were the words, spoken in opposition to an omnibus abortion bill, that got Rep. Lisa Brown barred from speaking on the House floor the following day – setting off viral outrage. (The bill passed.) Another female lawmaker was similarly disciplined over a protest amendment to regulate vasectomies.

What got (understandably) less attention was how much she focused on Jewish law in her remarks, which referenced an earlier speaker who referenced religious freedom. Brown said she keeps kosher in her own home, and went on,

“Judaism believes that therapeutic abortions, namely abortion performed in order to preserve the life of the mother, are not only permissible, but mandatory. The stage of pregnancy does not matter. Wherever there’s a question of the life of the mother or that of the unborn child, Jewish law rules in favor of preserving the life of the mother. The status of the fetus as human life does not equal that of a mother. I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs. Why are you asking me to adopt yours?”

In a press conference yesterday, Brown added, “I was either banned for being Jewish and rightfully pointing out that HB 5711 was forcing contradictory religious beliefs upon me and my religion…Or is it because I used the word ‘vagina,’ which is an anatomically, medically correct term?” Republican majority leader Jim Stamas said she had violated the “decorum of the House” by being a little too specific about whose rights were going to be violated.

With Video: Two Female Michigan Lawmakers Silenced After Vagina, Abortion Comments [Free Press]

Rep. Lisa Brown Questions Whether Her Jewish Faith Led To Being Banned From House Floor Debate [MLive]

Speaking of  anatomical issues, and being Jewish, would lead me to characterize the state house speaker and majority leader as schmucks……..

Schmucks is too mild.  We have a movement in this country similar to the extremists all over the world.  It is anti-women, anti-the “other” and violent and hateful.  My father always told me to keep my passport up to date.  Considering what it happening here, I am taking his words to heart.  As a Jew and a woman, I am finding what is happening in the country terrifying.

Jim Stamas lacks stamina, lacks a backbone and lacks a brain. Exactly whose rights were being violated? The vagina’s rights? The rights of the not yet born? His right to be an idiot in full pubic view? oi

yevka says:

You said it Sharon, we see here a movement of standing solid still in stupid fear and ferocious atrocious loathing. The flat earthers have fanned out looking to enlist the enthusiastically idiotic.

ednastvincent says:

The fact that anyone can pass an abortion bill without mentioning the word vagina says a lot about the lawmakers who wrote it.  Clearly they think of the fetus as an independent citizen while the mother is simply an incubator.  Let’s put the living, breathing, voting mother of this potential future citizen first, as our tradition demands.

PhillipNagle says:

The way these two harpies were yelling about their vaginas I thought were in favor of prostitution and the right of women to rent out their vaginas (or other parts of their body) to whom ever would pay the price.

ricksonelliot says:

Maybe the coordinated media campaign to demonize and create fear/hate for Muslims by Pam gellar,pipes,and the rest of the Jewish media wasn’t such a good idea huh? By fomenting hate and normalizing it’s expression you have created a atmosphere where it won’t be long before Americans start publically pointing out Jewish treason and loyalty to a foreign country,and the acting as a collective directed by AIPAC to subvert our politicians, irony,lol

ricksonelliot says:

Stay classy Jews,

salemst says:

I’m pro life.  I don’t believe we have the right to murder the innocent.  One step further, I believe no one has the right to destructively interfere with the innocent human life process we’re all part of.

That all being said, when it becomes a choice of the physical life of the mother versus the life of  the unborn baby I believe in this, and only in this, instance the mother should decide.

Are you really that contemptably rude, or just overwhelmingly ignorant?

PhillipNagle says:

Oh come on, can’t I have a few more choices.  Or can’t you believe anyone can disagree with you without being sinister.  No wonder we have such polarization in this country.

Lawmaker Disciplined For “Vagina” Comment Cited Judaism

Did we mention Eve Ensler has a Jewish dad?

Italian Politician’s Primo Levi Parody Panned

By Stephanie Butnick — Beppe Grillo under fire for anti-government poem based on ‘If This Is a Man’