Daybreak: IDF to Evacuate Illegal Settlements?
A military plan, Maccabiah, and more in the news
• The IDF has drawn up plans to evacuate 23 illegal West Bank settlements in a single day, Haaretz says, though IDF spokespeople say the military has received no orders to conduct such an operation. [Haaretz]
• And Sallai Meridor, Israel’s most recent ex-ambassador to the United States, claimed that the Israeli government was “completely committed” to evacuating West Bank settlements, although he also said the U.S. government had “retreated” from certain “understandings” about the settlements. [Haaretz]
• The fourth annual Christians United for Israel summit—and the first meeting of the evangelical Zionist group to take place outside George W. Bush’s presidency—is this week. [JPost]
• Yiddish apparently remains “the second language of New York politics,” with Mayor Michael Bloomberg and State Senator Hiram Monserrate recently accusing the other’s school plan of being “meshugeneh”. [NYT]
• And congrats to India’s Maccabiah cricket team, which ended its 16-year losing streak against Israel, triumphing 134-127. India faces South Africa in the finals today. [Haaretz]