Daybreak: N. Korea Performs Third Nuclear Test
Plus a new historical verdict for Pope Pius XII?
• In some troubling news, North Korea confirmed that it had conducted its third nuclear test earlier today. It was an explosion yield with several kilotons. There is wide speculation about the motivations of the test, be it aid or to improve Kim’s standing with the military. [NYT]
• While the news is fixated on the Vatican, the Guardian takes a look at a new book that argues that Pope Pius XII shouldn’t be known as “Hitler’s Pope” because of new secret files about his unheralded attempts to save the Jews. [Guardian]
• The wild and crazy saga of “Prisoner X,” the Australia-born Israeli with purported Mossad links, has apparently come to an end. [ABC-AU]
• Hillel Kuttler sizes up the career of Omri Casspi, the first Israeli to play in the NBA, who is riding the pine in Cleveland after a few somewhat impressive years in Sacramento. [JTA]
• Jewcy reports on Drake following his first ever Grammy win and sees a Jewish artist very much still fixated on the past. [Jewcy]