Bar Mitzvah Videos Have Now Jumped the Shark

‘I’m just a young boy hoping for some money’

(YouTube)

I’m not sure how extremely well-produced bar mitzvah videos became a trend, but a trend they are. From points unknown comes Jorel, whose bar mitzvah will be taking place in about six weeks.

At first, his video seems benign, featuring his family, declarations of personal pride in being half-Jewish and half-Asian, several awesome homages to the band Queen, and some innocuous dancing.

Suddenly, things get out of control and the video devolves into Gangnam style fury. There’s the unexpected appearance of a toilet and one cringe-worthy line: “I’m just a young boy hoping for some money.”

The first half was great, but I really don’t know about this one.

Earlier: Bar Mitzvah Video Eclipses GDP of Small Nations

jessica226 says:

Brandon. I see what you mean… Helen`s posting is good… last week I got a top of the range Smart ForTwo when I got my check for $6567 this month and just a little over ten/k last-month. with-out a doubt this is the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. I started this six months/ago and right away was making over $71, per/hr. I went to this website,, jump15.comCHECK IT OUT

Cathy Costik says:

I am embarrassed by and for this family. “I’m just a young boy hoping for some money,” isn’t exactly the premise of a b’nai mitzvah. And the shot of him sitting on the toilet…really awful taste.

elie says:

with an asian mother,well,let him do what he likes. anyway, Jewish he is not,and Mitzva he will never know!

LinkMan says:

Why isn’t he Jewish? For all you know his mother could have been
born Jewish, or she could have converted, or he could have converted.

Jews come in many colors. Unfortunately so do bigots.

tammy says:

Wow, Adam Chandler, right on the mark! What started out as really a cute video quickly devolved into garbage. Sadly, this boy has learned nothing at his synagogue, in his bar mitzvah classes or from his family. It is remarks such as those made in the video that make gentiles hate us and make those who may have been on the fence with regard to their Judaism self-loathing.

daized79 says:

Well the chance that she converted to Judaism (not Reform) and then quickly slid off the path together with her husband and raised a kid like this is very slight. Let’s see just form this video: she wear a revealing dress and has her hair uncovered, the boy is wearing a mockery of a talit and gestures to his penis (calling it “khutspa”), not to mention not wearing a kipa in most of it, the husband has no kipa and is shaved bald (I apologize if he is in chemotherapy or has some kind of natural baldness I have never seen (wear the peot also go bald). On the other hand, there are plenty off actual Asian converts and Jews have no particular skin color or facial pattern, as you intimate. And if the mom was born Jewish, then the boy wouldn’t be “half-Jewish” but a quarter Jewish. Or just Jewish, since the religion doesn’t discriminate against converts or the children of converts. Instead, it seems pretty clear he considers himself half-Asian and half-ethnically-Jewish with nothing to do with the religion. That said, the video is impressive for what it is. My only problem is with a 12-year-old boy pointing to his penis (and parents who would allow that in, since I’m sure 12-year-old boys pointing to their penises is more universal than bar mitzvah videos would make you think). The money line others don’t like, I think (and hope) was humor, and it wasn’t unfunny. Bar mitzvahs usually cost way more than they bring in, but then again, I’m not from a wealthy Reform family. I think my family broke even at $1,000.

daized79 says:

Shouldn’t it make them hate Asians too? Then at least it’s not 15 million against the world, but 2 billion…

Bar Mitzvah Videos Have Now Jumped the Shark

‘I’m just a young boy hoping for some money’

Losing Facebook Friends Over the War in Gaza

By Karen Lehrman Bloch — I tried to stay out of the fray, but I finally had to go public with my opinions about Israel, even if it meant my friends disagreed