Sundown: Sir, Proper Hebrew, Sir!
Human rights, lotion, and kosher foot-longs
• Apparently, Israeli soldiers don’t speak Hebrew too good; the IDF has launched an education program to combat the problem. [Ynet]
• Kristin Davis, who played a shiksa-turned-convert on Sex and the City, has stepped down as a spokesperson for Oxfam; the human-rights organization takes issue with Israeli cosmetics company Ahava, which is based in a disputed territory in the West Bank, and which Davis endorses. [NYPost]
• The plot thickens: Former Irish President Mary Robinson, President Obama’s choice for a Medal of Freedom, who some Jewish groups claim is anti-Israel, is the honorary president of Oxfam. [JTA]
• The right-wing conspiracy mongers at WorldNetDaily have this headline for us today, from their Jerusalem desk: “Obama spies monitoring Jews house-to-house: ‘They try to mingle with us to get more information on what we’re doing.’” [WND]
• Always wanted to use the “Jared” method to help you squeeze into your Rosh Hashanah best? Subway is officially the largest kosher food chain in the United States, with 11 certified outlets. [JTA]