What I Saw in Boston

My view from just above the marathon finish line

From the second floor of a friend’s office building at 667 Boylston Street, I watched crowds of marathoners finish their 26.5 miles with hands in the air and smiles plastered on their faces. With a beer in hand and surrounded by friends, I was celebrating my recent move to Boston the right way.

But in a moment, everything turned. Two explosions replaced cheering and giddy conversation with piercing screams. My whole body shook, as I heard thunder-like bangs; I felt the heat on my face as debris charged through the open windows. The intensity of the blast forced fellow spectators off the window ledge back into the building. I looked outside to find that the finish line was completely obscured by dust and debris. A cloud of smoke veiled the bloodshed below. The screams continued as we rushed to the back of the building to exit via the fire escape.

Back on ground level, the scene was utter panic: Loved ones trying to find loved ones, bleeding spectators desperate for paramedics. I did not know how to react. Is this really happening in Boston? I hugged my friends tightly before we started on a brisk pace home. We were surrounded by sirens, screams, crying, and yelling. Dazed marathon runners, who should be celebrating, were instead somberly walking away from site.

The irony is that just a couple years ago, concerned friends and family questioned my decision to study in Israel for six months. They were worried about my safety and wondered why I would want to live in such a “dangerous” place. But had I slept in for 20 more minutes, I would have been on the street level at the time of the explosion.

Boston had an eerie calmness as we approached our neighborhood. We walked silently down Charles Street, texting our family members to notify them of our status. I’m still shaken, but now I’m safely in my apartment, continuing to receive texts and phone calls urging me to stay inside.

Yechiel Gordon says:

I am glad that Mr. Weinstein is safe and sound.

As a runner and Boston-area resident, I wish the best to everyone effected by the bombings, which, at this point, have claimed the lives of two innocent people.

Meanwhile, looking at the bloody scene, I was thinking about the 600,000 Iraqi children who died as a result of the US embargo preceding the illegal invasion. At two deaths
a day, it turns out that it would take 821 years of Boston Marathon-days (300,000 divided by 365) to match what our government and our tax money have done to the Iraqis. And that doesn’t even include the hundreds of thousands of civilians who have died as a result of the invasion and occupation.

So, let’s keep all of the victims in our prayers and work to end the occupation of Iraq and the current Administration’s use of drones, which, as Wikileaks documents have confirmed, have been used primarily against civilians.

Though I share Mr Gordon’s sentiments regarding Iraq and that whole
tragedy; I’m not quite sure what the gratuitous mention of it is about (unless making a obscure comparison),
regarding this terrorist act in Boston. Of course people have various
thought processes and can justify all types of things; but today’s
sadness and prayers are very much about what happened in Boston, not
what happened in Iraq (as wrong as that was). By the way drones most
often go after civilians because most terrorist leaders ARE civilians
(they do not join the ranks of any official army). For instance members
of Hezbollah and Hamas are still considered terrorists orgs (because
they are); so when a drone takes out one of them, one might say “Thank
God a drone did it”; which means more preciseness, less (non-terrorist
civilian casualties) etc. My prayers to the victims of Boston and their
loved ones.

Guest says:

“Our” government has done?

Speak for yourself poncho. The American government didn’t create the theological schism between Mohammed-worship and Ali-worship. When a devout left-wing Mohammedan kills his fellow Iraqi int h

So, yes, let’s keep all the victims in our prayers and work to eradicate Mohammedan culture in IraqEradicate Mohammedan culture! Death to “Palestine”/Shari’ah!

Yechiel Gordon says:

Hi Guest, You asked me to speak for myself, and I have done so. My tax money and trillions of dollars of other American’s tax money have gone toward killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, and it is only by acknowledging that fact that any concern expressed over the deaths in Boston – which we are not responsible for — can be taken seriously.

Next: You contradictorily call Muslims left-wing, yet Mohammed-worshiping and Ali-worshiping. This is a simple logical error, which you might wish to examine.

Lastly: Saddam Hussein, one of the United States’ favorite murderers (see record of increased subsidies by Bush Administration to Iraq immediately following gassing of Kurds) until he disobeyed his godfathers in Washington,
was not a religious leader, and in fact, cracked down on Muslim extremists.
As in Palestine, US and Israeli terror have, as predicted by US initelligence reports before the fact, led to greater extremism. So, if we would like to eradicate radical Islam, we might begin by contesting US support for the radical Saudi regime and the continued occupations of Iraq and Palestine.

herbcaen says:

Below are twitter comments from the terror group al Shebab about the terror bombings, These statements are from http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/…/breaking-possilbe-al-shabab-link-to-b...

Compare and contrast these statements with those of Yechiel Gorgon

The #BostonBombings are just a tiny fraction of what US soldiers inflict upon millions of innocent Muslims across the globe on a daily basis

Amputations mean that some will never be able to run another marathon again. #BostonBombings

Don’t you just hate it when you can’t make it to the finish line #BostonBombings

Yechiel Gordon says:

Thank you for your note, Mr. Caen.
If al Shabab said that the bombings are just a fraction of what the US does, then they were, unfortunately, making an accurate statement. It was precisely because of this type of predictable result that I and hundreds of millions of other people around the globe — polls showed 90% of most European nations — opposed the US invasion of Iraq in the first place.
Besides constituting a war crime — that of Aggression, described at Nuremberg as the chief international crime — the invasion and occupation have provided an almost infinite amount of material to terrorist groups and fanatics with which they can justifiably criticize the US, both for its own of terror in the War on Terror and for its hypocrisy.
To be clear about my own position: I am personally opposed to the use of terror by any and all entities. As applied to the present situation, this means that I am opposed to the people who bombed the marathon area in what appears to have been an act of terrorism and am also opposed to the massive terror infllicted by the US government upon Iraqis and Afghans on a daily basis. To be opposed to their terror and not to ours is not be opposed to terror at all, but merely to root for one’s favorite side.

It is likely that mohammedans were behind this outrage, but we should reserve judgment until we know for sure.

Anyway, the perpetrators must be prosecuted to the full extend of the law if they are apprehended.

Yechiel Gordon says:

Looks like the guys who did this are Chechen and not Palestinian or Muslim. Would you now like to add the Chechens to the list of peoples and cultures you think deserving of genocide?

What I Saw in Boston

My view from just above the marathon finish line

Ongoing Controversy Around ‘The Most Important Story on Earth’

By Matti Friedman — Responding to critics of my essay about Israel media coverage