Amazon’s ‘Jewish Baby Bibs’

Has e-commerce reached its apogee?

(Amazon)

Yesterday, it was a teapot that supposedly resembles Hitler on a billboard in Los Angeles. Today, it’s Jewish Baby Bibs. And by Jewish, Amazon, which sells the bibs for a seller called Super Gifts, means bibs that say “Future Lawyer” or “Future Doctor” on them above piles of bills and coins.

Here’s how these adorable products are being described:

The perfect bib to dress up your darling’s outfit at synagogue or dinner with grandma. Made in the USA of vinyl impregnated cotton. Large 9 x 9″ coverage area with a pocket to catch small pieces running across the bottom. Front wipes clean. Machine wash cold, gentle cycle; line dry.

Much like the Hitler teapot, the reviews haven’t been stellar:

I was looking for something terribly offensive that would drive home the point the baby is Jewish. I was disappointed in this product that it “only” had coins at the bottom instead of tiny pieces of foreskin. Where are the included devil horns? Really, if we’re going to offend lets make sure we’re thorough! PS- @#$% you Amazon!

Also this:

As a Jew I was really excited to find an offensive product that would reinforce negative stereotypes about cheapness but unfortunately your bib is made of 2 types of fabric which violates the Torah teachings found in Leviticus 19:19 — that’s really a shame because I liked the way the bib made my nose look much smaller and distracted from my horns.

Other bibs in the Jewish Baby Bib line, which have yet to spark outrage are the “Future Mah Jongg Player” bib and the “I’m Not Crying I’m Davening” bib along with the “It’s My Bris And I”ll Cry If I Want to!”

Of course, this is hardly the first time Amazon has come under fire for not monitoring its wares. In March, the company had to deal with this unique controversy:

…Amazon’s reputation suffered a PR dent after its U.K. site offered T-shirts for sale with printed slogans that played off a famous British propaganda slogan, “Keep Calm and Carry On.” Alarmingly, some of the shirts—selling for $23-$26— included the phrases: “Keep Calm and Hit Her,” “Keep Calm and Rape a Lot” and “Keep Calm and Rape Them.”

Compared to that, this seems much less intense. But not so unserious that Amazon’s PR should avoid responding to media inquiries about it.

cipher says:

Amazon has always been this way. Years ago, they deleted a mildly critical comment I made about evangelicals in a review of a book by a mega-church pastor, but I had to press to get them to delete a review that was ferociously antisemitic.

That being said, these appear to be new items and they’re being sold by one of Amazon’s partners, so Amazon may not be aware of it yet.

chayar says:

I wonder why they picked on you? There are numerous anti-Evangelical and anti-Christian comments and books on Amazon.com.

Curious. Did you stumble on this independently or see the post from Kveller yesterday?

chayar says:

Are you asking me? If so: I didn’t see the Kveller post, not sure what you mean. I was researching bias for a project several months ago.

Are you Adam Chandler? If not, then no, I’m not asking you.

cipher says:

I believe that in those days, their customer service was located in Texas. I think it’s now largely in India.

Joe says:

I find these bibs offensive because they suggest that babies can’t keep their food in their mouth. It suggests that they are dirty and spill their food.

chayar says:

Those are call centers. I’m pretty sure the company has always been headquartered in Seattle (hardly a bastion of right-wing evangelicals), and that the web site is run from there. I’ve been researching a piece on a related topic and have found plenty of negative comments about all kinds of religions on Amazon.com, including evangelicals, since 2003, which is when my article begins. (I haven’t gone any earlier). Perhaps an individual flagged your comment in some way? If more than a few people reported it as abuse, it was deleted due to this perhaps?

Shitburger says:

Why would that surprise anybody? The whole world knows the jews are a bunch of money-grubbing degenerates, and that’s why everybody hates them.

lol another bitter poor person

Graham Mace says:

This sort of product isn’t necessarily religiously motivated, at least from observing attitudes of middle class aspiring social climbers in UK. And since when was becoming a doctor, lawyer or any respectable profession antisemitic, or even an exclusively Jewish achievement? Unless you want to see it that way, of course.

Sprite says:

Troll alert! (aka a$$hole)

Mark Burgh says:

Come to the south, were you can put your toddler in little cheerleader uniforms, or dress them as football players or even pole dancers. Any of these attempts to impose identity on a child is wrong, silly, and obnoxious.

Amazon’s ‘Jewish Baby Bibs’

Has e-commerce reached its apogee?

Tweets Cost a Professor His Tenure, and That’s a Good Thing

By Liel Leibovitz — Steven Salaita’s case isn’t about free speech. It’s about common sense, and the rightful consequences of bigotry and violence.