• Helen Thomas, 89, the White House press corps legend who recently said the Jews should “get the hell out of Palestine,” has retired, effective immediately. [Tablet Magazine]
• Prime Minister Netanyahu will soon announce an internal panel to probe the flotilla raid. Respected international and martime law jurists, including two observers not from Israel—one, likely, from the United States—will be asked to participate. [Haaretz]
• Iran’s Red Crescent announced plans to send aid ships to Gaza, starting by the end of the week. Uh-oh. [JTA]
• An Israeli human rights organization has requested that the U.S. Justice Department investigate American backers of the Gaza Flotilla, including the Free Gaza movement. [Arutz Sheva]
• The Big Jewcy begins today. This is, as its name suggests, a big deal. [Jewcy]
The Pixies cancelled an Israeli appearance due to “events beyond all our control.” Say what you want about the comparative political earnestness of a band like U2: Bono et al would never say events were beyond all their control.