• The Nobel Prize-winning Portuguese novelist José Saramago died. He will be remembered as a great writer … and as the man who in 2002 compared Israeli actions in the West Bank to German actions at Auschwitz. [NYT]
• If it wasn’t clear enough before, the United States can definitely no longer count on Turkey backing it on major issues. [National Interest]
• Is Turkey attempting to revive its Ottoman (read: imperial) roots? [TNR]
• A profile of Elena Kagan’s family, which managed to be Jewish, left-wing, and Upper West Side, all at the same time. [NYT]
• Bollywood is making a controversial Hitler biopic. [Arts Beat]
A song about Molly Bloom. Music (and performer): Alicia Jo Rabins. Lyrics: James Joyce.