Winona Reveals The Shocking Truth! Mel Doesn’t Like Jews!

Also, some thoughts on dodging kitchen appliances

(Getty Images)

In the same week the Nixon tapes revealed that former Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger, would’ve let Soviet Jews die gas chambers, we learn from Winona Ryder that Mel Gibson was anti-Semitic as far back as 15 years ago. Shocking. Who would’ve thought the man who brought us the Passion of the Christ didn’t just discover his anti-Jewish feelings when he was famously arrested for DUI in Malibu in 2006?

The actress, who is Jewishly known as Winona Laura Horowitz, spoke to GQ to promote her new film, Black Swan (which Allison Hoffman reviewed for Tablet), and told them about a big Hollywood party she had attended 15 years ago where she bumped into Gibson.

“Somehow it came up that I was Jewish,” Ryder told the magazine. “He said something about ‘oven dodgers,’ but I didn’t get it. I’d never heard that before.”

Neither have I but the phrase might be a stroke of evil genius – conflating the Holocaust with Vietnam draft dodgers. Or the Holocaust with dodge ball. (I can just hear Rip Torn’s Patches O’Houlihan from Dodgeball saying, “If you can dodge an oven, you can dodge a ball.”) Ryder goes onto say how she tried to warn others. “I was like, ‘He’s anti-Semitic and he’s homophobic.’ No one believed me!” Yes, Winona, you get to tell us all a big “I told you so!” But perhaps you should’ve stepped forward before this was common knowledge.

While GQ didn’t think that this little story was all that important and published it in parenthesis as merely a Mel Gibson anecdote, we here at Tablet (and the rest the of the Jewish media, if they’ll permit me to speak for them) think that Mel Gibson’s words from 15 years ago deserve more scrutiny and perhaps even a denouncement from Abe Foxman. It’s not like he’s busy calling anyone anti-Semitic these days, anyway.

Winona Forever [GQ]
Related: Why Kissinger Dismissed the Soviet Jews

The internet says that the slur is Australian in origin, and considering that Mel spent some formative years in Australia, it seems to fit.

Love Winona…She has her issues, but at the end of the day, she recognized that a fox may change colour but it never changes its mind…Mel has never denounced his psycho Dad and his horrendous beliefs..and he like Jimmy Carter make apologies that are laughable…Mel is in the end a very dangerous guy and Jews who associate with him in any way are ass kissers..I wouldn’t be surprised if Mel’s next movie is directed by a guy who shares similar views, Oliver Stone…

Ira Stone says:

“Yes, Winona, you get to tell us all a big “I told you so!” But perhaps you should’ve stepped forward before this was common knowledge.”

Um, isn’t that the point? It sounds to me as if that’s exactly what she did do… step forward before it was common knowledge.

Comparing Gibson with a US Naval Officer and former President of the United States of America? Alan, I am not anti-semitic, and support Israel’s right to exist, peacefully, in compliance with international law, and within pre-’67 borders. It that too much for you? If you don’t live in Israel now, please go there, and stay! You are no American.

Marty Janner says:

Mr. Gibson’s comments are not unique in the world we live! To suddenly realize that it was indicative of his true feelings is absurd. We live in an age, where utterance of this nature is not on the front burner, however, we of the Jewish Faith are often subjected to innuendos that reflect this degree of stupidity!

How may this be remedied? When someone has the answer please let me know!!!!

George One says:

So, Mel Gibson does not like Jews – too bad for him. Jews do not like Mel Gibson. Jews can live very well without Mel Gibson – i’m not sure the reverse is true.

I am non-Jewish and I find Mr. Gibson’s remark about “Oven Dodgers”
extremely offensive. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Mr. Gibson has a mind like a sewer; his only excuse might be medical
diagnosis of severe mental and emotional illness. Without that, he is a
despicable human being.

Ken Donow says:

Gerry. Grotesque and patronising gob shite. Go back to your own motherland if you don’t like the freedom of expression.

M. Brukhes says:

I think far more significant than Winona referring now to Gibson’s commonly understood and usually reviled anti-Semitism is the fact that this is the first time as far as I know that she’s acknowledged her own Jewishness. Score one for our team!!!

Jeffrey Sultanof says:

Mel Gibson being an anti-semite is old news already. What I don’t understand is people like Whoopi Goldberg and Jodie Foster saying otherwise and coming to his defense. The problem is that Hollywood always follows a winner. If by some chance Gibson made a motion picture that made a fortune, trust me people would be saying that is isn’t such a bad guy, including some Jews.

And yes, I have heard Ms. Ryder refer to her Jewishness before.

“We here at Tablet … think that Mel Gibson’s words from 15 years ago deserve more scrutiny and perhaps even a denouncement from Abe Foxman.”

Actually, Mr. Foxman did speak out. He told Radar Online, “Once a bigot is always a bigot. It is clear that Mel Gibson’s bigotry is not of recent vintage, that its been part of him for a long time. And when he loses his inhibitions, it comes out.

“In all my years at ADL, I have never heard of anyone using the term “oven dodgers” – this may be a new contribution to the anti-Semitic lexicon – I guess nobody should be surprised that it is coming from Mel Gibson.”

I’ve said that least 1893088 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was once entirely right. This publish truly made my day. You can not believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

I conceive other website proprietors should take this internet site as an model, very clean and superb user pleasant style.

We’re a bunch of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with useful info to work on. You’ve done an impressive activity and our whole neighborhood can be grateful to you.

Winona Reveals The Shocking Truth! Mel Doesn’t Like Jews!

Also, some thoughts on dodging kitchen appliances

Another ‘Boardwalk’ Casualty: Waxey Gordon

By Alexander Aciman — This season’s time jump bypasses much of the bootlegger’s criminal career