Daybreak: Palestinian Votes, Off and On
Plus a horrific crackdown in Bahrain, and more in the news
• The Palestinian elections in September President Abbas announced over the weekend? Yeah, they probably won’t happen, says President Abbas. [NYT]
• A more likely vote is at the U.N. Security Council over the Palestinian-backed resolution calling Israeli settlements illegal. Abbas has not yet decided whether to grant President Obama’s request to withdraw it. [NYT]
• The events in Egypt will likely be something for Hamas in Gaza. It’s just not clear yet whether that something is good or bad for Hamas. [LAT]
• In a blow to Hebron’s burgeoning settlement community, the Israeli Supreme Court ruled that pre-1948 owners of Hebron property were entitled neither to that property nor to compensation. [Haaretz]
• Really bad stuff is going down in Bahrain, with a massive government crackdown against largely peaceful protesters. [WP]
This video, from Times columnist Nick Kristof, is harrowing.