The Richest Jews in the World
Sorry, you didn’t make the list
The 2011 Forbes list of billionaires dropped. Same top-three as last year: Carlos Slim Helú, Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett. Same top-ranked Jew—Oracle magnate Larry Ellison, who moved up one spot, to fifth, and shot from net worth of $28 billion to $39.5 billion (a recovering economy will do that, I guess). If anything, though, it’s a list that, while it has a disproportionate number of Jews to be sure, is so thoroughly dominated by Gentiles that one can dream of a day when stereotypes about Jews and money lose whatever resonance they may have left. Still, because a million dollars isn’t cool but $13.5 billion is, it remains fun (I hope!) to look at all the Jews in the top 50, as well as a few other notables:
• Larry Ellison (5th, $39.5 billion).
• Sheldon Adelson (16th, $23.3 billion).
• Sergey Brin and Larry Page (24th, $19.8 billion).
• Michael Bloomberg (30th, $18.1 billion).
• Alisher Usmanov (35th, $17.7 billion) (not Jewish, but Muslim and married to a Jew).
• Rinat Akhmetov (39th, $16 billion).
• John Paulson (39th, $16 billion).
• Mikhail Fridman (43rd, $15.1 billion).
• Michael Dell (44th, $14.6 billion).
• Susanne Klatten (44th, $14.6 billion) (not Jewish, but was caught up in crazy Nazi-sex-blackmail scandal with a Jewish guy).
• Steven Ballmer (46th, $14.5 billion)
• George Soros (46th, $14.5 billion).
• Mark Zuckerberg (52nd, $13.5 billion).
• Steve Cohen (114th, $8 billion).
• Ralph Lauren (173rd, $5.8 billion).