• Longtime Al-Qaida number two Ayman al-Zawahiri is now formally in charge. He made his bones helping kill Anwar Sadat after the Egyptian leader signed the treaty with Israel. Read Lawrence Wright’s take. [The New Yorker]
• Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is out of the hospital. She was shot point-blank in the head five months ago. Wow. [JTA]
• “A Jerusalem rabbinical court recently sentenced a wandering dog to death by stoning.” Reincarnation was involved. Holy hell. [Ynet/Failed Messiah]
• The Krakow Factory, of Schindler’s List fame, is now a contemporary art museum. But here’s the secret: The art doesn’t actually work! [ArtInfo]
• The perilous occupation otherwise known as translating James Joyce into Russian. [Arty Semite]
Listen to Joyce read from Finnegans Wake. And then you can come to Housing Works Bookstore and see Ulysses acted out before your very eyes.