Tablet gets you ready for camp
It is truly that most wonderful time of the year: The beginning of camp season! Below, a list of articles about camp from the archives. And don’t miss Liana Finck’s illustrations of three of our readers’ camp stories today in Tablet Magazine and Marjorie Ingall’s column yesterday on the blessings of Zionist summer camp.
• Christmas in July: Or, Tales from My Supposedly Secular Summer Camp, by Sloane Crosley.
• Camp, Then and Now: Three decades, two very different trunks, by Marjorie Ingall.
• Big Fun: An illustrated remembrance of halcyon days at fat camp, by Vanessa Davis.
• Camp for Everyone: The blessings of Jewish camps for special-needs kids, by Marjorie Ingall.
• How to Make It to the Promised Land: A short story explores what happens when a camp game goes horribly awry, by Ellen Umansky
• Notes on Camp: An argument for keeping summertime unplugged, by Marjorie Ingall.
• Earthbound: A giant leap for mankind, a short drive for my family, by Samuel G. Freedman.
• Home Again: The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Back from Summer Camp Edition! by Marjorie Ingall.
• Summer Lovin’: Reminiscences of sleepaway camp, where sleep was the last thing on anyone’s mind, by Laurel Snyder.
• Dance Fever: How a vintage Israeli pop song became an international summer camp sensation, by Marjorie Ingall.