The Scroll will be dark until next Monday. L’shana tovah!
• One member of the U.N. Security Council is not going along with a new resolution to sanction a regime that could be said to be brutally occupying its own people. I refer, of course, to the Syrian regime, and Russia is the member that won’t act. [AP/WP]
• “Please Do Not Sit On This Chair.” Indeed. [FP Turtle Bay]
• Are some of Bob Dylan’s paintings at his new Gagosian show basically rip-offs of random photographs? You guys are aware that he didn’t write an original melody for the first five years of his career, right? [NYT ArtsBeat]
• Jews get their own bacon, and it’s chicken skin. [NYT]
• Daniel Maimon Kirschenbaum is a New York attorney who specializes in suing restaurants. [NY Post]
• Tevi Troy considers new books by Sen. Joseph Lieberman and David Horowitz. [Jewish Ideas Daily]
• Ryan Braun and Ian Kinsler both joined the 30-30 club this season. The third Jewish member? Shawn Green. [Kaplan’s Korner]
• John Judis argues the United States should have supported the Palestinian resolution. [TNR]
• One of the most prominent hard-right French politicians is a Jewish guy. [JPost]
• Bad Tony Blair. [Ynet]
• Tablet Magazine contributor Jacob Silverman on a newly translated Imre Kertész novel. [LA Review of Books]
• A Los Angeles bookstore tells the story of its neighborhood. [Forward]
Nothing changes on New Year’s Day.