Sundown: Chaplin the Jew?
Plus Sarachek’s successor at Yeshiva U, and more
• So, there’s a chance that Charlie Chaplin was born in France to the name Israel Thornstein. [Telegraph]
• The Republican Jewish Coalition hits President Obama on requesting a cut in military aid to Israel. Turn, turn, turn. [RJC]
• The National Jewish Democratic Council hits back, saying Obama has asked for a raise in overall aid and generally has been good to Israel. Turn, turn, turn. [NJDC]
• Vitka Kempner Kovner, widow of Abba Kovner and exploder of a Nazi train, died this week. [Forward]
• Next Tuesday! 92Y! Come see Adam Kirsch, Ruth Franklin, Josh Cohen, and Liel Leibovitz discuss Jewish books! [92Y]
• Jonathan Halpert played at Yeshiva U. for the great Red Sarachek and is now in his 40th year as its head basketball coach. [NYT]
• Two Jewish Democratic representatives are seeking to block a U.S.-Turkey arms deal. [WP Checkpoint Washington]
• Two soccer players for Iran’s popular Persepolis club may face public lashing for “inappropriate” touching, which is to say, for celebrating a game-winning goal. This is why we say the regime has different values than we do. [WP]
• Which is not to say a nuclear Iran would mean Armageddon, though it would at least mean an unpleasant shift in the balance of power. [Christian Science Monitor]
• Eli Valley gets the full-on and well-deserved profile treatment. [Haaretz]
• The Louis D. Brandeis Center is a new organization dedicated to fighting anti-Semitism on campuses. It’s led by Kenneth L. Marcus, who was prominently involved in the recent to-do at Columbia. [Brandeis Center]
• Ron Kampeas has a primer on how to be Times Jerusalem bureau chief. [FP]
Have a swell Presidents’ Day!
Left-influenced MSNBC ‘blacklisted’ him because he’s a Christian