When Your Heart Moves You (and When It Doesn’t) (Pekudei)
Parshat Vayahel Pekudei: How do we decide who is most worthy of charity?
This week we discuss why the Israelites so freely donated their time and money to build the Tabernacle, and whether volunteer work is best focused on one’s community or those outside it.
Parsha in Progress is a podcast hosted by Abigail Pogrebin. author of My Jewish Year: 18 Holidays, One Wondering Jew, and Rabbi Dov Linzer, head of Yeshivat Chovevei Torah.
- Parsha In ProgressWhy Torah is Like the Rain (Ha’azinu)Parshat Ha’azinu: Why prophets speak in poetry, not proseSeptember 21, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressIn Your Mouth and in Your Heart (Nitzavim)Parshat Nitzavim: Does God get a vote in how we interpret Torah? September 7, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWayward Sons and Kidnapped Women (Ki Tetzei)Parshat Ki Tetzai: How to read unsavory biblical lawsAugust 24, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressIs Compassion Extra Credit? (Re’eh)Parshat Re’eh: The Bible doesn’t make charity simpleAugust 10, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhy Did God Keep Moses From Entering Israel? (Vaetchanan)Parshat Vaetchanan: Moses tells the people of Israel not to forget Mount Sinai before they enter IsraelJuly 27, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressDid God Break a Promise? Did We? (Maatot-Maasei)Parshot Maatot-Maasei: God denies the generation of the Exodus entry into IsraelJuly 13, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhat Do We Do When We See Evil Unpunished? (Balak)Parshat Balak: How Pinchas kills an Israelite man and Midianite woman in public without judicial processJune 29, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressIs Democracy Always the Divine Plan? (Korach)Parshat Korach: How an insurrection against Moses failed dramatically June 22, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWho Deserves to Be Cut Off? (Beha’alotcha)Parshat Beha’alotcha: What the punishment of karet, being cut off from the people, actually meansJune 8, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressThe Daily Call of Mount Sinai (Shavuot)Chag Shavuot: What happened at Mount Sinai, and what does it mean for our choice, today, to be Jews? May 25, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressRemembering the Individuals Among the Crowds (Bamidbar)Parshat Bamidbar: Understanding the value behind the long lists of names and numbers in the BIbleMay 18, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhen Productivity Got Canceled Biblically (Behar)Parshat Behar: How the laws of ‘shmita,’ letting the earth lie unworked every seven years, echoes modern needs for periodic withdrawalMay 11, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressShould Jews Be Holy, or Good? (Kedoshim)Parshat Kedoshim: When God demands a life of being and actionApril 20, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhen Biblical Demands Seem Cruel (Metzorah)Parshat Metzorah: Sending the unclean person outside the campApril 13, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressThe Miracle of Jewish Survival (Tzav)Parshat Tzav: Should Jewish endurance be an argument for Jewish continuity?March 20, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhen Your Heart Moves You (and When It Doesn’t) (Pekudei)Parshat Vayahel Pekudei: How do we decide who is most worthy of charity?March 16, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressCan Fashion Choices Be Holy? (Tetzaveh)Parshat Tetzaveh: Why God Cares About What You WearMarch 2, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWho Doesn’t Love the Stranger? (Mishpatim)February 17, 2020