Ep. 6: Social Justice
Father Coughlin’s political movement gains momentum as his church superiors look the other way
Huey Long’s folksy populism wins over Louisiana voters and becomes darkly demagogic. Picking up where Long leaves off, Father Coughlin and his National Union for Social Justice energize the anti-FDR base at massive political rallies across the country. The Social Justice party runs a candidate for president in the 1936 election, and Coughlin blatantly solicits campaign funds on his radio show while Bishop Gallagher and Church higher-ups look the other way. Though his candidate fizzles, Coughlin’s political influence is firmly established—and his openly antisemitic speeches find a growing audience.
Radioactive is hosted by Detroit journalist Andrew Lapin and produced by Tablet Studios, with support from Maimonides Fund, and in association with The WNET Group’s reporting initiative, Exploring Hate: Antisemitism, Racism and Extremism. The show’s theme music is from The Ghost Writer and was composed by Alexandre Desplat. All speeches and material of Father Coughlin, as well as music and other audio from his radio program, are authentic to the source.
- RadioactiveEp. 8: The Ghost of Royal OakFather Coughlin disappears from the public eye, but his legacy looms largeNovember 23, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 7: SeditionFather Coughlin incites his most extreme followers to violenceNovember 16, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 6: Social JusticeFather Coughlin’s political movement gains momentum as his church superiors look the other wayNovember 9, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 5: His Cross to BearPresident Roosevelt embraces radio while distancing himself from Father CoughlinNovember 2, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 4: ‘Driving the Money Changers From the Temple’Father Coughlin expands his pulpit to politicsOctober 26, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 3: The Sound of AmericaFather Coughlin starts broadcasting his religious services over the radioOctober 19, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 2: Radio DaysFather Coughlin builds his church, with a little help from famous friendsOctober 12, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 1: In the BeginningWho was Father Charles Coughlin, and what were the conditions that allowed for the rise of the first mass media demagogue?October 5, 2021
- RadioactiveRadioactive: The Father Coughlin StoryThe story of how a crafty bigot used a new medium to spread hate and get much too close to political powerSeptember 29, 2021