Kiddushin 35 and 36
In today’s Talmud pages, Kiddushin 35 and 36, we begin with the rabbis discussing whether women need to be obligated for time-bound commandments. But rather than focus specifically on this page, today and all this week we will be celebrating a few milestones. We will be celebrating the new Jewish year, 5784, our reaching the middle page of the Talmud—that’s right we have hit the midpoint of this journey—and finally the upcoming publication of Liel’s book How the Talmud Can Change Your Life: Surprisingly Modern Advice from a Very Old Book. Today we focus on a central idea in the Talmud, the need to make time. The very first page of the Talmud begins by asking the question of when we can say the Shema prayer. Why does the Talmud begin with this question rather than trying to gain a better understanding of the prayer itself? Listen and find out.
In celebration of all of these milestones, we invite you to preorder the new book now. You can do it through your local bookstore, directly from the publisher, or wherever you get your favorite books. Once you’ve preordered the book, take a picture of your receipt and visit tabletm.ag/preorder and complete the form and upload a copy of your receipt. Once we have your email address, you will be invited to a virtual event, and be eligible to receive one of 10 special packages, hand-curated by Liel, that will make your Jewish journey more meaningful, beautiful, and yeah, why not, fun.
Like the show? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Send us a note at [email protected]. Follow us on Twitter at @takeonedafyomi and join the conversation in the Take One Facebook group.
Take One is a Tablet Studios production. The show is hosted by Liel Leibovitz and is produced and edited by Darone Ruskay, Quinn Waller, and Elie Bleier. Our team also includes Stephanie Butnick, Josh Kross, Robert Scaramuccia, and Tanya Singer.
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
- Take OneBava Kama 36 and 37Hitting people when they are upDecember 8, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 35Possession is nine-tenths of the lawDecember 7, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 34Using all parts of the buffaloDecember 6, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 33Saving a family vacationDecember 5, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 31 and 32Impossible to inevitable to easyDecember 4, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 29 and 30Community, ourselves, and the divineDecember 1, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 28You shall take no ransomNovember 30, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 27Glory to the heroesNovember 29, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 26Twenty-six secondsNovember 28, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 24 and 25Pay close attentionNovember 27, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 22 and 23Watch your backNovember 24, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 21The ruined houseNovember 23, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 20Free BritneyNovember 22, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 19Nothing worth doing is easyNovember 21, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 17 and 18Circumstances beyond our controlNovember 20, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 15 and 16Who’s a good boy?November 17, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 14Edith’s debutNovember 16, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 13Exercising moralityNovember 15, 2023