Kiddushin 40 and 41
Acquire yourself a friend
In today’s Talmud pages, Kiddushin 40 and 41, we begin by telling the story of when Rabbi Tzadok was enticed by a noblewoman to engage in sexual intercourse with her. But we won’t focus specifically on this page. Today and all this week we have been celebrating a few milestones: the new Jewish year, 5784; our arrival at the middle page of the Talmud; and the upcoming publication of Liel’s book How the Talmud Can Change Your Life: Surprisingly Modern Advice from a Very Old Book.
Today we are focusing on friendship. The Talmud talks about friendship starting from the advice from Pirkei Avot (Ethics of the Fathers) that instructs us to “acquire a friend,” which may sound strange, as one would think that a friendship would not be based on a financial arrangement. But what the rabbis are trying to remind us is that friendship requires work. What kinds of work do the Rabbis think we should do to earn our friendships? Listen and find out.
In celebration of all of these milestones, we invite you to pre-order Liel’s new book now. You can do it through your local bookstore, directly from the publisher, or wherever you get your favorite books. Once you’ve preordered the book, take a picture of your receipt, visit https://tabletm.ag/preorder, complete the form, and upload a copy of your receipt. Once we have your email address, you will be invited to a virtual event and be eligible to receive one of ten special packages, curated by Liel, that will make your Jewish journey more meaningful, beautiful, and—yeah, why not—fun.
Like the show? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Send us a note at [email protected]. Follow us on Twitter at @takeonedafyomi and join the conversation in the Take One Facebook group.
Take One is a Tablet Studios production. The show is hosted by Liel Leibovitz and is produced and edited by Darone Ruskay, Quinn Waller, and Elie Bleier. Our team also includes Stephanie Butnick, Josh Kross, Robert Scaramuccia, and Tanya Singer.
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
- Take OneBava Kama 27Glory to the heroesNovember 29, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 26Twenty-six secondsNovember 28, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 24 and 25Pay close attentionNovember 27, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 22 and 23Watch your backNovember 24, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 21The ruined houseNovember 23, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 20Free BritneyNovember 22, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 19Nothing worth doing is easyNovember 21, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 17 and 18Circumstances beyond our controlNovember 20, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 15 and 16Who’s a good boy?November 17, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 14Edith’s debutNovember 16, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 13Exercising moralityNovember 15, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 12The gig economyNovember 14, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 10 and 11The characteristics of goodness always outweigh the characteristics of negativityNovember 13, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 8 and 9Beautifying the mitzvahNovember 10, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 7Seasonal fluctuations in priceNovember 9, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 6Liable for damagesNovember 8, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 5Evil speech and positive speechNovember 7, 2023
- Take OneBava Kama 3 and 4Welcome to Tractate Bava KamaNovember 6, 2023