Jewish Sports Nerds and Their Path to the Promised Land
Ep 4: How ‘Moneyball’ changed the game and opened the door to new careers in sports
While many Jewish kids dream of growing up to become iconic Jewish athletes like Dolph Schayes or Sandy Koufax, the numbers aren’t exactly on our side. This episode is about all the ways Jews have found careers in the game without playing the game—how they professionalized their passion and forged their own path to the Promised Land, in large part by embracing the mathematical and statistical revolution of the early 2000s. The so-called Moneyball generation created models for how brainy Jewish kids could be brainy Jewish adults in sports.
Episode 4 features interviews with New York Mets Assistant General Manager Ben Zauzmer; Wharton statistics and data science professor Adi Wyner; and Adam Neuman, chief of staff for the Big 10 Conference. This episode also celebrates others paths into the sports industry, with Cespedes Family BBQ Twitter phenom Jake Mintz, baseball romance author KD Casey, and father-daughter sports journalism duo Dave Kaplan and Emily Kaplan.
Over the course of this series, host Meredith Shiner will be exploring how Jewish culture, American culture, and sports culture intersect. She’ll talk to journalists, athletes, amateur and professional sports nerds, and fans who have spent as much time obsessing over these topics as she has.
- The FranchiseThe Sports MitzvahEp. 6: How the world of professional sports reshaped a rite of passage for American Jewish teensNovember 30, 2022
- The FranchiseShondas and Stereotypes: Jewish Sports Team OwnersEp. 5: Exploring the complicated way we feel when high profile Jews behave badlyNovember 16, 2022
- The FranchiseThe Halftime ShowTaking a break to dance with the 1990s New York Knicks and analyze the Kyrie Irving controversyNovember 9, 2022
- The FranchiseJewish Sports Nerds and Their Path to the Promised LandEp 4: How ‘Moneyball’ changed the game and opened the door to new careers in sportsNovember 2, 2022
- The Franchise40 Years in the Desert: Jews and the New York MetsEp. 3: How the most Jewish team in the most Jewish sport embodies endless suffering—and the unwavering belief that this season might be differentOctober 26, 2022
- The FranchiseReevaluating ‘Jewish Jordan’ Tamir GoodmanEp. 2: In the basketball-crazed ’90s, a Jewish sports hero was anointed. But looking beyond the headlines, did we get the story right?October 19, 2022
- The FranchiseGenesis: Sandy Koufax as Model MinorityEp 1: Baseball, Yom Kippur, and what it means to be a Jewish athlete in America—then and now October 12, 2022
- The FranchiseIntroducing The Franchise: Jews, Sports, and AmericaA new limited series exploring the intersection of sports and American Jewish culture, hosted by Meredith ShinerOctober 7, 2022