Shondas and Stereotypes: Jewish Sports Team Owners
Ep. 5: Exploring the complicated way we feel when high profile Jews behave badly
This series has so far focused on the bright spots, the moments that Jewish athletes and storylines have made us proud. But not all stories about Jews in sports are the ones we want splashed in the headlines. On this episode, we confront an uncomfortable subject: Jewish team owners behaving badly. We explore the concept of shondas, and how we feel as Jews when high profile Members of the Tribe embarrass us or bring us shame.
Episode 5 features interviews with Dave McKenna, the former Washington City Paper journalist who went up against Dan Snyder, ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne, who has reported extensively about Don Sterling’s missteps, sports biographer Jane Leavy, reporter Dave Zirin, and baseball writer Jake Mintz.
Over the course of this series, host Meredith Shiner explores how Jewish culture, American culture, and sports culture intersect. She’ll talk to journalists, athletes, amateur and professional sports nerds, and fans who have spent as much time obsessing over these topics as she has.
- The FranchiseThe Sports MitzvahEp. 6: How the world of professional sports reshaped a rite of passage for American Jewish teensNovember 30, 2022
- The FranchiseShondas and Stereotypes: Jewish Sports Team OwnersEp. 5: Exploring the complicated way we feel when high profile Jews behave badlyNovember 16, 2022
- The FranchiseThe Halftime ShowTaking a break to dance with the 1990s New York Knicks and analyze the Kyrie Irving controversyNovember 9, 2022
- The FranchiseJewish Sports Nerds and Their Path to the Promised LandEp 4: How ‘Moneyball’ changed the game and opened the door to new careers in sportsNovember 2, 2022
- The Franchise40 Years in the Desert: Jews and the New York MetsEp. 3: How the most Jewish team in the most Jewish sport embodies endless suffering—and the unwavering belief that this season might be differentOctober 26, 2022
- The FranchiseReevaluating ‘Jewish Jordan’ Tamir GoodmanEp. 2: In the basketball-crazed ’90s, a Jewish sports hero was anointed. But looking beyond the headlines, did we get the story right?October 19, 2022
- The FranchiseGenesis: Sandy Koufax as Model MinorityEp 1: Baseball, Yom Kippur, and what it means to be a Jewish athlete in America—then and now October 12, 2022
- The FranchiseIntroducing The Franchise: Jews, Sports, and AmericaA new limited series exploring the intersection of sports and American Jewish culture, hosted by Meredith ShinerOctober 7, 2022