Safe at Home
Ep. 228: Former Israeli Member of Knesset Einat Wilf, plus ‘American Muslim’ filmmaker Adam Zucker and Mohamed Bahi, one of the film’s subjects
Join us for very special virtual Unorthodox live show as part of the Great Big Jewish Food Fest, on Saturday, May 23 at 8:30 p.m. Eastern. RSVP here!
amThis week on Unorthodox: How to build an eruv in Animal Crossing, and saying goodbye to Jerry Stiller.
Our first guest is former Israeli Member of Knesset Einat Wilf. Well known in Israeli politics for her left-wing positions and advocacy of education and women’s rights, she joins us to talk about her shift in thinking about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which culminated in a book she co-authored, newly published in English, called The War of Return: How Western Indulgence of the Palestinian Dream Has Obstructed the Path to Peace.
Next we talk to Adam Zucker, the filmmaker behind the documentary American Muslim, and Mohamed Bahi, one of the activists in the film. Bahi—who was inspired to learn more about his Muslim faith after 9/11, when his high school football teammates stopped calling him “Mo” and started calling him “Mohamed”—tells us about his organization Muslims Giving Back, and the many ways he helps New York’s Muslim community through food banks, volunteer work, and refugee assistance.
Be part of our upcoming special episodes! Do you have a story to share about conversion, and what books or movies helped you along the way? Want to tell us about a lesser-known Jewish community for our Jews Around the World episode? Send us your story as a voicemail at (914) 570-4869, or record a voice memo on your phone and email it to [email protected].
Our tour events for spring 2020 have been postponed. Stay tuned for updates on rescheduled dates, and join our Facebook group to see much more of us and connect with other listeners. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more.
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, sweatshirts, and baby onesies here.
The Great Courses Plus is offering a free month of unlimited access to their entire library of online courses. Start your free month at thegreatcoursesplus.com/unorthodox.
- UnorthodoxSafe and SoundEp. 302: Reflections on the Texas synagogue hostage situation, plus an interview with artist Mark PodwalJanuary 20, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily TiesEp. 301: Designer Liz Lange on The Just Enough Family podcast and Christian composer Delvyn Case on the binding of Isaac January 13, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe 300th EpisodeSimon Doonan hosts a celebration of Unorthodox featuring personal stories from our hosts and milestone messages from listeners, friends of the show, and former guestsDecember 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxJews on ChristmasEp. 299: Melissa Clark’s yiddishe Christmas cookies, Jews and Christmas music, and the Jewish ballet dancer soloing in ‘The Nutcracker’ with the American Ballet TheaterDecember 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxBig CheeseEp. 298: Schmear shortage shenanigans, plus interviews with cookbook author Dorothy Kalins and scholar Ruth WisseDecember 16, 2021
- UnorthodoxMad MahjEp. 297: Joshua Malina on Mel Gibson, plus interviews with Israeli news anchor Yonit Levi and mahjong scholar Annelise HeinzDecember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxHanukkah 2.0Ep. 296: Indigenous Jewish ‘Reservation Dogs’ actress Sarah Podemski and ‘New York Times’ columnist Ross DouthatDecember 2, 2021
- UnorthodoxIt’s Not Jewish ChristmasEp. 295: Celebrating the Festival of Lights with comedian Judy Gold, cookbook author Jake Cohen, #HanukkahFails, and new music from Sarah Aroeste and Jeremiah LockwoodNovember 18, 2021
- UnorthodoxBagels and BooksEp. 294: Carb drama, Kristallnacht birthdays, and an interview with Catholic novelist Alice McDermott November 11, 2021
- UnorthodoxHappy ReturnsEp. 293: Our three hosts are reunited, plus an interview with comedian Alex Edelman and a sardine sampling at Sherry Herring’s New York City outpostNovember 4, 2021
- UnorthodoxReturning to PittsburghEp. 292: Marking the third anniversary of the Tree of Life synagogue shooting with an audio portrait of how the community came together in its aftermathOctober 28, 2021
- UnorthodoxSpooky SchmoozingEp 291: ‘Halloween III’ actress Stacey Nelkin, horror writer Carrie Harris, and a ghost story from I.L. Peretz read by Dara HornOctober 21, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Artful DodgerA little story about a big characterOctober 14, 2021
- UnorthodoxTake Me to ChurchEp. 290: This week, pork controversies, old bands, and a new podcast about an old antisemiteOctober 7, 2021
- UnorthodoxPardon the InterruptionEp. 289: So long, Tishrei! Hello, October!September 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxModern Day HeroesEp. 288: Real life and comic book Jews who kick ... September 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5782Ep. 287: We’re STILL sorrySeptember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxA Comforting New YearEp. 286: This week, we’re helping you ease into the new yearSeptember 2, 2021