Ep. 256: Closing out the year with Rabbi Tiferet Berenbaum and illustrator Peter Sis
This week on Unorthodox, we’re celebrating the other New Year.
Our Jewish guest is Rabbi Tiferet Berenbaum of Temple Beth Zion in Brookline, Massachusetts. She tells us about her path to the rabbinate, her passion for Jewish education, and what she’s learned running TBZ’s hebrew school.
Our gentile of the week is Peter Sis, the Czech-American illustrator, author, and MacArthur genius. He tells us about his latest picture book, Nicky and Vera, which tells the story of Nicholas Winton, the “British Schindler” who saved hundreds of Czech children from the Nazis.
Join us Monday, Jan. 11 at 6 p.m EST for a virtual Unorthodox live show with special guests Jamie and Brian Stelter at Beth Sholom Congregation in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania. Jamie is NY1’s traffic anchor and co-hosts Mornings on 1, and Brian hosts CNN’s Reliable Sources. Register here.
On Jan. 14 at 6:30 p.m. EST, we’ll be at the Temple Emanuel Streicker Center discussing our book The Newish Jewish Encyclopedia. Register here.
See our full schedule of virtual events here.
Let us know what you think of the show! Send us comments and questions at [email protected], or leave us a voicemail at (914) 570-4869. You can also record a voice memo on your smartphone and email it to us.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more.
Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel! Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram.
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, mugs, and baby onesies at bit.ly/unorthoshirt.
American Jewish World Service is fighting poverty and pursuing justice in the developing world. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, AJWS is currently twice-matching all donations; find out more about the organization and make your donation at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
- UnorthodoxStepping OutEp. 366: Comedian Modi on ‘moshiach energy’ and coming out, and Father James Martin on his work addressing LGBTQ issues within the Catholic ChurchJune 8, 2023
- UnorthodoxAll That JazzEp. 365: ‘Afghan Dreamers’ producer David Cowan, and a trip across the JEW.S.A. to New Orleans for Jazz Fest ShabbatJune 1, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox 2.0Ep. 364: Welcoming our new co-host Joshua Malina; plus interviews with ‘Jewish Matchmaking’ producer Aaron Saidman and ‘Leopoldstadt’ actor Aaron NeilMay 25, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Conversion Episode, 2023Ep. 363: Celebrating Shavuot by honoring all of our Jewish journeysMay 18, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Long GameEp. 362: Rabbi Ari Lamm on spirituality in the NBA Playoffs; journalist Gabby Deutch on a Jewish cold case; and an up-close look at Maimonides’ 12th-century manuscripts May 11, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Maine EventEp. 361: Nosh with Tash’s Natasha Feldman’s ‘The Dinner Party Project,’ and a trip Across the Jew.S.A. to Portland, MaineMay 4, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Final FribbleEp. 360: Celebrating outgoing host Mark Oppenheimer with laughs, ’90s nostalgia, and a trip to Friendly’s April 27, 2023
- UnorthodoxComing HomeEp. 359: Jonathan Rosen on ‘The Best Minds’; a visit to Armenia; and a look at the history of Zionism on Israel’s 75th birthdayApril 20, 2023
- UnorthodoxListen and LearnEp. 358: Podcast macher Arielle Nissenblatt, Andrea Wakefield on Italian American cooking in Delaware, and a look inside the National Library of Israel’s collectionApril 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxPassover 101Ep. 357: Everything you need to pull off a meaningful and memorable SederApril 5, 2023
- UnorthodoxAcross the Jew.S.A: Louisville, KentuckyEp. 356: The bourbon industry’s surprising Jewish history, plus a ‘Seinfeld’ connection and much moreMarch 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxIn BloomEp. 355: Chanie Apfelbaum on her new kosher cookbook; celebrating baseball’s opening day with Zack Hample; and a new project from one of our hostsMarch 30, 2023
- UnorthodoxSesame ShtiselEp. 354: Grover does Passover, plus Ruth Markel on trauma and grandparent alienation, and Indian comedian Zarna Garg on learning from the Jews March 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxBunny BusinessEp. 353: Hen Mazzig on fighting antisemitism online and Gabriel Said Reynolds on teaching about Islam on YouTubeMarch 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxTuning InEp. 352: Jeremy Dauber on Jewish comedy and Mel Brooks, and Clueless’ Elisa Donovan on her acting—and writing—careerMarch 9, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Whole MegillahEp. 351: Rethinking Purim, plus a visit to Shemesh Farms in Malibu, CaliforniaMarch 2, 2023
- UnorthodoxThreading the NeedleEp. 350: Ashley McKinless and Zac Davis on Jesuitical and Lent and traveling across the JEW.S.A. to Seattle February 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxNew WaveEp. 349: David Sax on ‘The Future Is Analog’ and William Finnegan on surfing February 16, 2023