A Comforting New Year
Ep. 286: This week, we’re helping you ease into the new year
Happy Jewish Year 5782!
While we normally celebrate new beginnings on Rosh Hashanah, this year we are choosing to turn to the comfort of some of our favorite things. Join us to celebrate Rosh Hashanah and celebrate the new Jewish year with the equivalent of a hug for your years.
First, we bring you our interview with star of stage and screen Tovah Feldshuh, who spoke with us a couple months back as part of a live show with the Community Scholar Program and the Merage Jewish Community Center sponsored by the Jewish Community Foundation Orange County and Jewish Federation Orange County.
Then, Liel speaks with Doni Zasloff and Eric Lindberg of the Jewish Bluegrass band Nefesh Mountain. The duo also perform a special song to ring in the new year with Unorthodox.
Finally, we bring you a sneak peak of our new Tablet Studios podcast, Adventures with Dead Jews, hosted by author Dara Horn. Join her as she endeavors to uncover why everyone loves dead Jews.
As always, let us know what you think of the show! Send us comments and questions at [email protected], or leave us a voicemail at (914) 570-4869. You can also record a voice memo on your smartphone and email it to us.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel!
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, mugs, and baby onesies at bit.ly/unorthoshirt. Want to book us for a live show? Email producer Josh Kross at [email protected].
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
AJWS supports activists working with vulnerable communities around the globe throughout the ongoing pandemic. Make your double-matched, tax-deductible donation today at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
Unpacking Israeli History the hit podcast from Unpacked is now available wherever you find your podcasts.
- UnorthodoxSafe and SoundEp. 302: Reflections on the Texas synagogue hostage situation, plus an interview with artist Mark PodwalJanuary 20, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily TiesEp. 301: Designer Liz Lange on The Just Enough Family podcast and Christian composer Delvyn Case on the binding of Isaac January 13, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe 300th EpisodeSimon Doonan hosts a celebration of Unorthodox featuring personal stories from our hosts and milestone messages from listeners, friends of the show, and former guestsDecember 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxJews on ChristmasEp. 299: Melissa Clark’s yiddishe Christmas cookies, Jews and Christmas music, and the Jewish ballet dancer soloing in ‘The Nutcracker’ with the American Ballet TheaterDecember 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxBig CheeseEp. 298: Schmear shortage shenanigans, plus interviews with cookbook author Dorothy Kalins and scholar Ruth WisseDecember 16, 2021
- UnorthodoxMad MahjEp. 297: Joshua Malina on Mel Gibson, plus interviews with Israeli news anchor Yonit Levi and mahjong scholar Annelise HeinzDecember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxHanukkah 2.0Ep. 296: Indigenous Jewish ‘Reservation Dogs’ actress Sarah Podemski and ‘New York Times’ columnist Ross DouthatDecember 2, 2021
- UnorthodoxIt’s Not Jewish ChristmasEp. 295: Celebrating the Festival of Lights with comedian Judy Gold, cookbook author Jake Cohen, #HanukkahFails, and new music from Sarah Aroeste and Jeremiah LockwoodNovember 18, 2021
- UnorthodoxBagels and BooksEp. 294: Carb drama, Kristallnacht birthdays, and an interview with Catholic novelist Alice McDermott November 11, 2021
- UnorthodoxHappy ReturnsEp. 293: Our three hosts are reunited, plus an interview with comedian Alex Edelman and a sardine sampling at Sherry Herring’s New York City outpostNovember 4, 2021
- UnorthodoxReturning to PittsburghEp. 292: Marking the third anniversary of the Tree of Life synagogue shooting with an audio portrait of how the community came together in its aftermathOctober 28, 2021
- UnorthodoxSpooky SchmoozingEp 291: ‘Halloween III’ actress Stacey Nelkin, horror writer Carrie Harris, and a ghost story from I.L. Peretz read by Dara HornOctober 21, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Artful DodgerA little story about a big characterOctober 14, 2021
- UnorthodoxTake Me to ChurchEp. 290: This week, pork controversies, old bands, and a new podcast about an old antisemiteOctober 7, 2021
- UnorthodoxPardon the InterruptionEp. 289: So long, Tishrei! Hello, October!September 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxModern Day HeroesEp. 288: Real life and comic book Jews who kick ... September 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5782Ep. 287: We’re STILL sorrySeptember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxA Comforting New YearEp. 286: This week, we’re helping you ease into the new yearSeptember 2, 2021