A Comforting New Year
Ep. 286: This week, we’re helping you ease into the new year
Happy Jewish Year 5782!
While we normally celebrate new beginnings on Rosh Hashanah, this year we are choosing to turn to the comfort of some of our favorite things. Join us to celebrate Rosh Hashanah and celebrate the new Jewish year with the equivalent of a hug for your years.
First, we bring you our interview with star of stage and screen Tovah Feldshuh, who spoke with us a couple months back as part of a live show with the Community Scholar Program and the Merage Jewish Community Center sponsored by the Jewish Community Foundation Orange County and Jewish Federation Orange County.
Then, Liel speaks with Doni Zasloff and Eric Lindberg of the Jewish Bluegrass band Nefesh Mountain. The duo also perform a special song to ring in the new year with Unorthodox.
Finally, we bring you a sneak peak of our new Tablet Studios podcast, Adventures with Dead Jews, hosted by author Dara Horn. Join her as she endeavors to uncover why everyone loves dead Jews.
As always, let us know what you think of the show! Send us comments and questions at [email protected], or leave us a voicemail at (914) 570-4869. You can also record a voice memo on your smartphone and email it to us.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel!
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, mugs, and baby onesies at bit.ly/unorthoshirt. Want to book us for a live show? Email producer Josh Kross at [email protected].
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
AJWS supports activists working with vulnerable communities around the globe throughout the ongoing pandemic. Make your double-matched, tax-deductible donation today at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
Unpacking Israeli History the hit podcast from Unpacked is now available wherever you find your podcasts.
- UnorthodoxInside and OutEp. 328: Abigail Pogrebin on the new installment of ‘The Minyan,’ Allison Josephs on Hollywood’s portrayal of Orthodox Judaism, and a very Unorthodox fundraiserAugust 11, 2022
- UnorthodoxMoving ForwardEp. 327: For Tisha B’Av, we’re talking to Rebecca Soffer of Modern Loss about grief, and Walter Russell Mead about Israel and AmericaAugust 4, 2022
- UnorthodoxStaying CoolEp. 326: Singer-songwriter Lisa Loeb on the joys of summer camp, Cantor Yisroel Leshes on reinterpreting Yiddish jazz musicJuly 28, 2022
- UnorthodoxFunny GirlsEp. 325: Broadway casting shakeups, plus Iranian American comedian Negin Farsad, and ‘Batman’ producer Michael Uslan July 21, 2022
- UnorthodoxMellow YellowThe Gist host Mike Pesca on the value of disagreement, and Argentine journalist Javier Sinay on ‘The Murders of Moisés Ville’ July 14, 2022
- UnorthodoxGood SportsEp. 323: Hindu monk Swami Tyagananda on spirituality and the modern world, and forthcoming Tablet Studios podcast host Meredith Shiner on a Sandy Koufax tribute at Dodger StadiumJune 30, 2022
- UnorthodoxStage HandEp. 322: The new Jewish star of Broadway’s ‘Dear Evan Hansen,’ plus how the Krakow JCC is helping Ukrainian refugees, talking to LGBTQ Jews, and moreJune 23, 2022
- UnorthodoxMixed GrillEp. 320: Restaurateurs Mike Solomonov and Steve Cook bring their Israeli skewer house to Brooklyn, journalist James Kirchick uncovers Washington, D.C.’s ‘Secret History’June 9, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe Conversion Episode, 2022Ep. 319: Our fifth annual Shavuot celebration of Jews by choice, featuring stories from Washington, D.C., to Jerusalem May 26, 2022
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox Comes Alive!Ep. 318: Congresswoman Elaine Luria and NFL hall-of-famer Bruce Smith, live from Virginia BeachMay 19, 2022
- UnorthodoxBig Bang SliceEp. 317: ‘Jeopardy!’ host Mayim Bialik on her ‘very, very Jewish’ new film, plus Eddie Chang on Buy Nothing groups, and a ‘Licorice Pizza’ reviewMay 12, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe MothershipEp. 316: Jewish Fertility Foundation; Ester Steinberg’s postpartum comedy special; a Fragile X diagnosis; a complicated college graduationMay 5, 2022
- UnorthodoxPuzzling ThroughEp. 315: A.J. Jacobs on crosswords, riddles, and Wordle, plus director Barry Levinson’s new film, ‘The Survivor’April 28, 2022
- UnorthodoxRootless CosmopolitansEp. 314: Barry Manilow on his new musical ‘Harmony,’ Andy Markovits on the power of a passport, and Tablet’s Maggie Phillips on religious literacyApril 21, 2022
- UnorthodoxBonus: Passover MelodiesMusician Josh Warshawsky sings us through the SederApril 14, 2022
- UnorthodoxA Passover to RememberEp. 313: Our hosts make this ancient holiday feel personal, relevant, and meaningfulApril 7, 2022
- UnorthodoxWhat’s Cookin’?Ep. 312: Massachusetts State Sen. Eric Lesser on inaugurating the Obama White House Seders, and Unorthodox producer Quinn Waller on learning to make chicken soup for PassoverMarch 31, 2022
- UnorthodoxWe Are FamilyEp. 311: Julie Platt on Jewish Federations (and her talented Jewish family), and Father Thomas Soroka on Orthodox ChristianityMarch 24, 2022