Ep. 298: Schmear shortage shenanigans, plus interviews with cookbook author Dorothy Kalins and scholar Ruth Wisse
This week on Unorthodox, we’re diving deeper into the cream cheese shortage.
Our first guest is Dorothy Kalins, cookbook writer and former editor in chief of Saveur magazine. Liel talks to her about her new book, The Kitchen Whisperers: Cooking with the Wisdom of Our Friends.
Then Liel sits down with retired Harvard professor Ruth Wisse, whose new memoir is Free Like a Jew: A Personal Memoir of National Self-Liberation.
New York-area listeners, travel back in time to 1970s NYC’s haute kosher Chinese restaurant, Moshe Peking, for a prix-fixe dinner to remember on December 25, 2021. Chef Eric Huang of Pecking House reimagines the iconic Moshe Peking menu with a 5-course feast of short ribs, duck dumplings, sesame noodles, and more, all under OU supervision at Wall Street Grill. Get your ticket at bit.ly/moshepeking.
Our 300th episode is coming up this month, and we want you to be part of it. Has Unorthodox meant something to you, or played a part in your Jewish journey? Has a particular interview made you think, or a special episode stuck with you? Share your Unorthodox story by recording a voice memo on your phone and emailing it to [email protected], or leaving a voicemail at our listener line: (914) 570-4869. Remember to tell us who you are and where you’re calling from.
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation at bit.ly/givetounorthodox.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel.
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
AJWS supports activism in 18 countries around the world, and when you donate to AJWS this holiday season, your gift will be matched to make double the impact. Give today at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
Diller Teen Tikkun Olam Awards recognize 15 extraordinary Jewish teenagers with $36,000 toward their initiatives. Learn more and apply or nominate a teen at dillerteenawards.org/unorthodox.
Rothy’s makes stylish and sustainable shoes and accessories. Get $20 off your first purchase at rothys.com/UNORTHODOX.
- UnorthodoxSafe and SoundEp. 302: Reflections on the Texas synagogue hostage situation, plus an interview with artist Mark PodwalJanuary 20, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily TiesEp. 301: Designer Liz Lange on The Just Enough Family podcast and Christian composer Delvyn Case on the binding of Isaac January 13, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe 300th EpisodeSimon Doonan hosts a celebration of Unorthodox featuring personal stories from our hosts and milestone messages from listeners, friends of the show, and former guestsDecember 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxJews on ChristmasEp. 299: Melissa Clark’s yiddishe Christmas cookies, Jews and Christmas music, and the Jewish ballet dancer soloing in ‘The Nutcracker’ with the American Ballet TheaterDecember 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxBig CheeseEp. 298: Schmear shortage shenanigans, plus interviews with cookbook author Dorothy Kalins and scholar Ruth WisseDecember 16, 2021
- UnorthodoxMad MahjEp. 297: Joshua Malina on Mel Gibson, plus interviews with Israeli news anchor Yonit Levi and mahjong scholar Annelise HeinzDecember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxHanukkah 2.0Ep. 296: Indigenous Jewish ‘Reservation Dogs’ actress Sarah Podemski and ‘New York Times’ columnist Ross DouthatDecember 2, 2021
- UnorthodoxIt’s Not Jewish ChristmasEp. 295: Celebrating the Festival of Lights with comedian Judy Gold, cookbook author Jake Cohen, #HanukkahFails, and new music from Sarah Aroeste and Jeremiah LockwoodNovember 18, 2021
- UnorthodoxBagels and BooksEp. 294: Carb drama, Kristallnacht birthdays, and an interview with Catholic novelist Alice McDermott November 11, 2021
- UnorthodoxHappy ReturnsEp. 293: Our three hosts are reunited, plus an interview with comedian Alex Edelman and a sardine sampling at Sherry Herring’s New York City outpostNovember 4, 2021
- UnorthodoxReturning to PittsburghEp. 292: Marking the third anniversary of the Tree of Life synagogue shooting with an audio portrait of how the community came together in its aftermathOctober 28, 2021
- UnorthodoxSpooky SchmoozingEp 291: ‘Halloween III’ actress Stacey Nelkin, horror writer Carrie Harris, and a ghost story from I.L. Peretz read by Dara HornOctober 21, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Artful DodgerA little story about a big characterOctober 14, 2021
- UnorthodoxTake Me to ChurchEp. 290: This week, pork controversies, old bands, and a new podcast about an old antisemiteOctober 7, 2021
- UnorthodoxPardon the InterruptionEp. 289: So long, Tishrei! Hello, October!September 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxModern Day HeroesEp. 288: Real life and comic book Jews who kick ... September 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5782Ep. 287: We’re STILL sorrySeptember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxA Comforting New YearEp. 286: This week, we’re helping you ease into the new yearSeptember 2, 2021