The 300th Episode
Simon Doonan hosts a celebration of Unorthodox featuring personal stories from our hosts and milestone messages from listeners, friends of the show, and former guests
This week, we’re celebrating a major milestone: 300 episodes. That’s more than 18,000 minutes of tape over six years, featuring thousands of News of the Jews items, hundreds of amazing Jews and Gentiles of the Week, and way too many jokes about Belgium. We’ve been through a lot together, J-Crew. There was the Saran Wrap versus tin foil fight, the debate over backing into parking spaces, and endless discussions of what activities might accurately be categorized as “Jewish.”
We’ve shared stories of conversion and atonement and nose jobs, and performed live shows across the country, from St. Louis to San Diego, and Denver to Detroit. Along the way, our team wrote a book, welcomed three human children and six podcast babies, and even got to be part of a proposal and then a wedding.
Today, we’re celebrating everything that makes Unorthodox the No. 1 Jewish podcast with a special episode hosted by friend-of-the-show and Making It judge Simon Doonan. You’ll hear stories from our hosts—about Stephanie finding her voice, Mark learning what happens when an off-hand comment incites an unexpected online mob, and Liel realizing that fighting about politics isn’t always worth it—and messages from listeners and some of our favorite former guests.
On behalf of the entire Unorthodox team, shalom friends—and thanks for listening.
We love to hear from you! Send us your emails and voice memos at [email protected], or leave a voicemail at our listener line: (914) 570-4869. Remember to tell us who you are and where you’re calling from.
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation at bit.ly/givetounorthodox.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel.
Want to book us for a live show? Email producer Josh Kross at [email protected].
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
Zelikow School of Jewish Nonprofit Management: Earn your master’s degree in Organizational Leadership and Innovation while you work. Learn more about the Zelikow School of Jewish Nonprofit Management at zschool.huc.edu. Scholarships available.
The Power Of is a new podcast featuring host Noam Weissman and a diverse range of guests discussing how Jewish wisdom can help us find real, practical meaning within our own lives. Listen here or wherever you get your podcasts.
AJWS supports activism in 18 countries around the world, and when you donate to AJWS this holiday season, your gift will be matched to make double the impact. Give today at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
- UnorthodoxSafe and SoundEp. 302: Reflections on the Texas synagogue hostage situation, plus an interview with artist Mark PodwalJanuary 20, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily TiesEp. 301: Designer Liz Lange on The Just Enough Family podcast and Christian composer Delvyn Case on the binding of Isaac January 13, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe 300th EpisodeSimon Doonan hosts a celebration of Unorthodox featuring personal stories from our hosts and milestone messages from listeners, friends of the show, and former guestsDecember 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxJews on ChristmasEp. 299: Melissa Clark’s yiddishe Christmas cookies, Jews and Christmas music, and the Jewish ballet dancer soloing in ‘The Nutcracker’ with the American Ballet TheaterDecember 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxBig CheeseEp. 298: Schmear shortage shenanigans, plus interviews with cookbook author Dorothy Kalins and scholar Ruth WisseDecember 16, 2021
- UnorthodoxMad MahjEp. 297: Joshua Malina on Mel Gibson, plus interviews with Israeli news anchor Yonit Levi and mahjong scholar Annelise HeinzDecember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxHanukkah 2.0Ep. 296: Indigenous Jewish ‘Reservation Dogs’ actress Sarah Podemski and ‘New York Times’ columnist Ross DouthatDecember 2, 2021
- UnorthodoxIt’s Not Jewish ChristmasEp. 295: Celebrating the Festival of Lights with comedian Judy Gold, cookbook author Jake Cohen, #HanukkahFails, and new music from Sarah Aroeste and Jeremiah LockwoodNovember 18, 2021
- UnorthodoxBagels and BooksEp. 294: Carb drama, Kristallnacht birthdays, and an interview with Catholic novelist Alice McDermott November 11, 2021
- UnorthodoxHappy ReturnsEp. 293: Our three hosts are reunited, plus an interview with comedian Alex Edelman and a sardine sampling at Sherry Herring’s New York City outpostNovember 4, 2021
- UnorthodoxReturning to PittsburghEp. 292: Marking the third anniversary of the Tree of Life synagogue shooting with an audio portrait of how the community came together in its aftermathOctober 28, 2021
- UnorthodoxSpooky SchmoozingEp 291: ‘Halloween III’ actress Stacey Nelkin, horror writer Carrie Harris, and a ghost story from I.L. Peretz read by Dara HornOctober 21, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Artful DodgerA little story about a big characterOctober 14, 2021
- UnorthodoxTake Me to ChurchEp. 290: This week, pork controversies, old bands, and a new podcast about an old antisemiteOctober 7, 2021
- UnorthodoxPardon the InterruptionEp. 289: So long, Tishrei! Hello, October!September 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxModern Day HeroesEp. 288: Real life and comic book Jews who kick ... September 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5782Ep. 287: We’re STILL sorrySeptember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxA Comforting New YearEp. 286: This week, we’re helping you ease into the new yearSeptember 2, 2021