Safe and Sound
Ep. 302: Reflections on the Texas synagogue hostage situation, plus an interview with artist Mark Podwal
This week, we’re reflecting on the rabbi and three congregants held hostage at a Texas synagogue last Saturday.
We’re also sharing an interview with Mark Podwal, an artist who has illustrated for the Metropolitan Opera and The New York Times—and who has a day job as a dermatologist. He tells us how his art, rich with Jewish themes and imagery, is his expression of his Jewish identity.
We love to hear from you! Send us your emails and voice memos at [email protected], or leave a voicemail at our listener line: (914) 570-4869. Remember to tell us who you are and where you’re calling from.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel.
Want to book us for a live show? Email producer Josh Kross at [email protected].
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Check out all of our podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
The Institute for Jewish Spirituality’s online introductory course in Jewish meditation will help you find calm in challenging situations. Sign up for “The Gift of Awareness” at jewishspirituality.org and use discount code Unorthodox for 20% off the eight-part course.
American Jewish World Service: Renew your commitment to tikkun olam with a twice-matched gift to support social justice organizations in 18 countries around the world. Make your donation at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
Thirty Six is a new podcast from SoulShop and Bnai Zion hosted by Justin Hayet, who scours Israel to find the 36 most fascinating souls who bring an ancient Jewish tradition to life. Listen here or wherever you get your podcasts.
Harry’s is a great shave at a great price. Get a trial set for just $3 when you go to Harrys.com/Unorthodox.
- UnorthodoxTalking the TalkEp. 380: Linguist Deborah Tannen on ‘cooperative overlap,’ Peoplehood founder Julie Rice on creating community through conversation, and Mitchell Silk on communicating across languages and culturesSeptember 21, 2023
- UnorthodoxStealing the ShowEp. 379: ‘Golda’ director Guy Nattiv and ‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’ writer Amanda SternSeptember 14, 2023
- UnorthodoxBeautifully JewishEp. 378: Starting the new year with a celebration of the objects that enrich our Jewish livesSeptember 7, 2023
- UnorthodoxWe Could NoshEp. 377: Jake Cohen’s new cookbook; the Jewish story behind PLNT Burger; New York’s rugelach king; and a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to the kosher Catskills August 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxSounds of the SeasonEp. 376: High Holiday music prep with Rabbi Josh Warshawsky, plus Ladino singer Sarah Aroeste, and the music archive of the National Library of IsraelAugust 24, 2023
- UnorthodoxEntering Elul Ep. 375: Diving into the month leading up to the High Holidays with Rabbi Dovid Bashevkin, Rabbi Diana Fersko, and moreAugust 17, 2023
- UnorthodoxRocky Mountain High NotesEp. 374: Song Exploder host Hrishikesh Hirway’s new single, plus a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to ColoradoAugust 3, 2023
- UnorthodoxWorking It OutEp. 373: A Tisha B’Av refresher, plus football coach and ‘An Army of Normal Folks’ podcast host Bill CourtneyJuly 27, 2023
- UnorthodoxKosher FaceEp. 372: Sarah Silverman on her new comedy special ‘Someone You Love,’ plus an exploration of the National Library of IsraelJuly 20, 2023
- UnorthodoxLesson PlansEp. 371: Benyamin Cohen on ‘The Einstein Effect,’ plus a look behind the scenes of the new Israeli TV show ‘The Lesson’July 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Name GameEp. 370: The truth behind Jewish name changes at Ellis Island, plus a preview of a new Tablet podcastJuly 6, 2023
- UnorthodoxEyes on the PrizeEp. 369: Heading ‘Across the JEW.S.A.’ to Deadwood, South Dakota, plus Antonio Pagliarulo on the evil eye, and JCC Krakow’s Jonathan Ornstein on Jewish life in Poland todayJune 29, 2023
- UnorthodoxCoronation CholentEp. 368: Chief Rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis; The Best Advice Show host Zak Rosen; exploring the archive of the National Library of IsraelJune 22, 2023
- UnorthodoxBubble TroubleEp. 367: Comedian Alex Edelman on his show ‘Just for Us’ heading to Broadway, and sportswriter Will Leitch on fatherhood and Little LeagueJune 15, 2023
- UnorthodoxStepping OutEp. 366: Comedian Modi on ‘moshiach energy’ and coming out, and Father James Martin on his work addressing LGBTQ issues within the Catholic ChurchJune 8, 2023
- UnorthodoxAll That JazzEp. 365: ‘Afghan Dreamers’ producer David Cowan, and a trip across the JEW.S.A. to New Orleans for Jazz Fest ShabbatJune 1, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox 2.0Ep. 364: Welcoming our new co-host Joshua Malina; plus interviews with ‘Jewish Matchmaking’ producer Aaron Saidman and ‘Leopoldstadt’ actor Aaron NeilMay 25, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Conversion Episode, 2023Ep. 363: Celebrating Shavuot by honoring all of our Jewish journeysMay 18, 2023