Ep. 345: Rina Raphael on the dark side of the wellness industry and ‘Weird Al’ drummer Jon ‘Bermuda’ Schwartz on parody perfection
This week on Unorthodox, who deserves a spot on the Jewish Mount Rushmore?
Our first guest is author Rina Raphael, who joins us to talk about her book The Gospel of Wellness: Gyms, Gurus, Goop, and the False Promise of Self-Care.
Then we’re joined by “Weird Al” Yankovic’s drummer of more than 40 years, Jon “Bermuda” Schwartz, who talks with Liel about bringing brilliant parody music to life for more than 40 years.
Plus, our hosts answer a gentile of the week question from Tabitha Soren, who was our guest a few episodes back.
Check out our new Unorthodox tees, mugs, and hoodies at tabletstudios.com.
We’re back on the road! Find out about our upcoming events at tabletmag.com/unorthodoxlive. To book us for a live show or event, email Tanya Singer at [email protected].
We love to hear from you! Send us emails and voice memos at [email protected], or leave a voicemail at our listener line: 914-570-4869. Remember to tell us who you are and where you’re calling from.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel.
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Check out all of our podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
- UnorthodoxAll That JazzEp. 365: ‘Afghan Dreamers’ producer David Cowan, and a trip across the JEW.S.A. to New Orleans for Jazz Fest ShabbatJune 1, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox 2.0Ep. 364: Welcoming our new co-host Joshua Malina; plus interviews with ‘Jewish Matchmaking’ producer Aaron Saidman and ‘Leopoldstadt’ actor Aaron NeilMay 25, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Conversion Episode, 2023Ep. 363: Celebrating Shavuot by honoring all of our Jewish journeysMay 18, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Long GameEp. 362: Rabbi Ari Lamm on spirituality in the NBA Playoffs; journalist Gabby Deutch on a Jewish cold case; and an up-close look at Maimonides’ 12th-century manuscripts May 11, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Maine EventEp. 361: Nosh with Tash’s Natasha Feldman’s ‘The Dinner Party Project,’ and a trip Across the Jew.S.A. to Portland, MaineMay 4, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Final FribbleEp. 360: Celebrating outgoing host Mark Oppenheimer with laughs, ’90s nostalgia, and a trip to Friendly’s April 27, 2023
- UnorthodoxComing HomeEp. 359: Jonathan Rosen on ‘The Best Minds’; a visit to Armenia; and a look at the history of Zionism on Israel’s 75th birthdayApril 20, 2023
- UnorthodoxListen and LearnEp. 358: Podcast macher Arielle Nissenblatt, Andrea Wakefield on Italian American cooking in Delaware, and a look inside the National Library of Israel’s collectionApril 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxPassover 101Ep. 357: Everything you need to pull off a meaningful and memorable SederApril 5, 2023
- UnorthodoxAcross the Jew.S.A: Louisville, KentuckyEp. 356: The bourbon industry’s surprising Jewish history, plus a ‘Seinfeld’ connection and much moreMarch 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxIn BloomEp. 355: Chanie Apfelbaum on her new kosher cookbook; celebrating baseball’s opening day with Zack Hample; and a new project from one of our hostsMarch 30, 2023
- UnorthodoxSesame ShtiselEp. 354: Grover does Passover, plus Ruth Markel on trauma and grandparent alienation, and Indian comedian Zarna Garg on learning from the Jews March 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxBunny BusinessEp. 353: Hen Mazzig on fighting antisemitism online and Gabriel Said Reynolds on teaching about Islam on YouTubeMarch 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxTuning InEp. 352: Jeremy Dauber on Jewish comedy and Mel Brooks, and Clueless’ Elisa Donovan on her acting—and writing—careerMarch 9, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Whole MegillahEp. 351: Rethinking Purim, plus a visit to Shemesh Farms in Malibu, CaliforniaMarch 2, 2023
- UnorthodoxThreading the NeedleEp. 350: Ashley McKinless and Zac Davis on Jesuitical and Lent and traveling across the JEW.S.A. to Seattle February 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxNew WaveEp. 349: David Sax on ‘The Future Is Analog’ and William Finnegan on surfing February 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxUs PeopleEp. 348: Author Gabrielle Zevin on ‘Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow’ and a spirited discussion about Netflix’s ‘You People’February 9, 2023