Ep. 345: Rina Raphael on the dark side of the wellness industry and ‘Weird Al’ drummer Jon ‘Bermuda’ Schwartz on parody perfection
This week on Unorthodox, who deserves a spot on the Jewish Mount Rushmore?
Then we’re joined by “Weird Al” Yankovic’s drummer of more than 40 years, Jon “Bermuda” Schwartz, who talks with Liel about bringing brilliant parody music to life for more than 40 years.
Plus, our hosts answer a gentile of the week question from Tabitha Soren, who was our guest a few episodes back.
Check out our new Unorthodox tees, mugs, and hoodies at tabletstudios.com.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel.
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Check out all of our podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
- UnorthodoxMemories, RevisitedEp. 346: On International Holocaust Remembrance Day, stories of survival, Jewish pride, and a baby naming to rememberJanuary 26, 2023
- UnorthodoxMoving MountainsEp. 345: Rina Raphael on the dark side of the wellness industry and ‘Weird Al’ drummer Jon ‘Bermuda’ Schwartz on parody perfectionJanuary 19, 2023
- UnorthodoxHitting the RoadEp. 344: Starting our journey ‘Across the JEW.S.A.’ with a visit to Wilmington, Delaware, plus viral Yiddish singing sensation Mendel Goldman, and Jonathon Stalls on walking across the countryJanuary 12, 2023
- UnorthodoxAn Unorthodox Christmas SpectacularEp. 343: CBS’s Faith Salie, gospel musician Donald Lawrence, a Jewish mall Santa, and moreDecember 22, 2022
- UnorthodoxBright LightsEp. 342: Celebrating Hanukkah with eight inspiring stories from the Jewish worldDecember 15, 2022
- UnorthodoxWork ItEp. 341: Isabel Kaplan on her novel ‘NSFW,’ and Tabitha Soren on her photography career December 8, 2022
- UnorthodoxTough TalkersEp. 340: MSNBC anchor Katy Tur and ‘The Last Boss of Brighton’ author Douglas CenturyDecember 1, 2022
- UnorthodoxBonus: A Conversation With Tablet’s Editor-in-Chief Alana NewhouseTalking ‘Brokenism,’ America, and moreNovember 25, 2022
- UnorthodoxTruly ThankfulEp. 339: Making challah with Molly Yeh, Michael Twitty on ‘Koshersoul’ cooking, and Shannon Sarna on ‘Modern Jewish Comfort Food’November 24, 2022
- UnorthodoxBuilding Bridges Ep. 338: Actor Eric Ladin on ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’ and Jewish summer camp, interfaith leader Eboo Patel on embracing religious diversityNovember 17, 2022
- UnorthodoxSpirited DebateEp. 337: Letty Cottin Pogrebin reflects on her Jewish awakening and her Jewish identity within the feminist movementNovember 10, 2022
- UnorthodoxGenerally AssembledEp. 336: Live from the Jewish Federations of North America General Assembly with Eric Fingerhut, plus ‘Rap Capital’ author Joe Coscarelli, new podcast merch, and moreNovember 3, 2022
- UnorthodoxAround the TableEp. 335: ‘Somebody Feed Phil’ star Phil Rosenthal on honoring his late parents on screen, and CBS Sunday Morning’s Faith Salie on raising Jewish children in a multifaith familyOctober 27, 2022
- UnorthodoxRaising the RoofEp. 334: Israeli actor Michael Aloni, Pastor Corey Brooks, JQY founder Mordechai Levovitz, and new Shabbat music from Yair RosenbergOctober 13, 2022
- UnorthodoxAbsolute CitronEp. 333: Celebrating Sukkot with a deep dive into the global history of the etrog, a visit to an etrog farm, and a look at Jewish co-housingOctober 6, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5783Ep. 332: Stories of reckoning, atonement, and goats on our eighth annual Yom Kippur special September 29, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily Hold BackEp. 331: Filmmakers Ken Burns and Sarah Botstein on ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust,’ and kosher cookbook author Kim Kushner on ‘The Modern Table’September 22, 2022
- UnorthodoxClass ActsEp. 330: Author Michael Lewis on life among the Jews and CNN’s Dana Bash on reporting on antisemitismSeptember 15, 2022