Ep. 346: On International Holocaust Remembrance Day, stories of survival, Jewish pride, and a baby naming to remember
This week on Unorthodox, stories of survival and Jewish pride in honor of International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
First, host Stephanie Butnick shares the lesson her Holocaust survivor grandparents taught her about taking every opportunity to celebrate life, starting with her over-the-top baby party.
California restaurateur Victor Ivry shares the story of honoring his mother, Auschwitz survivor and “witness to history” Liselotte Ivry, by getting a tattoo of her concentration camp number on his arm.
Abigail Pogrebin shares a preview of the latest installation of The Minyan, featuring her conversation with 10 Holocaust survivors. You can read the full version at tabletmag.com/minyan.
Host Mark Oppenheimer offers his take on how to reframe our response to antisemitism. First graders at Central Synagogue in New York City share their favorite blessings in an excerpt from our kids game show podcast, Hebrew School.
Jewelry designer Rachie Shnay tells us about her Mazel Collection, a line of Star of David bling that Jewish celebrities like Gal Gadot, Debra Messing, Emmanuelle Chriqui, and Selma Blair have been wearing loudly and proudly.
And finally, Tablet Studios’ general manager Tanya Singer introduces us to her relatives Eva Bender and Samuel Marder, who share their moving story of survival and strength.
We love to hear from you. Send us emails and voice memos at [email protected], or leave a voicemail at our listener line: 914-570-4869. Remember to tell us who you are and where you’re calling from.
Check out our new Unorthodox tees, mugs, and hoodies at tabletstudios.com.
Find out about our upcoming events at tabletmag.com/unorthodoxlive. To book us for a live show or event, email Tanya Singer at [email protected].
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel.
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Check out all of our podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
- UnorthodoxSesame ShtiselEp. 354: Grover does Passover, plus Ruth Markel on trauma and grandparent alienation, and Indian comedian Zarna Garg on learning from the Jews March 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxBunny BusinessEp. 353: Hen Mazzig on fighting antisemitism online and Gabriel Said Reynolds on teaching about Islam on YouTubeMarch 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxTuning InEp. 352: Jeremy Dauber on Jewish comedy and Mel Brooks, and Clueless’ Elisa Donovan on her acting—and writing—careerMarch 9, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Whole MegillahEp. 351: Rethinking Purim, plus a visit to Shemesh Farms in Malibu, CaliforniaMarch 2, 2023
- UnorthodoxThreading the NeedleEp. 350: Ashley McKinless and Zac Davis on Jesuitical and Lent and traveling across the JEW.S.A. to Seattle February 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxNew WaveEp. 349: David Sax on ‘The Future Is Analog’ and William Finnegan on surfing February 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxUs PeopleEp. 348: Author Gabrielle Zevin on ‘Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow’ and a spirited discussion about Netflix’s ‘You People’February 9, 2023
- UnorthodoxReading TogetherEp. 347: Bill Deresiewicz on ‘The End of Solitude’ and audiobook narrator Julia Whelan on ‘Thank You for Listening’February 2, 2023
- UnorthodoxMemories, RevisitedEp. 346: On International Holocaust Remembrance Day, stories of survival, Jewish pride, and a baby naming to rememberJanuary 26, 2023
- UnorthodoxMoving MountainsEp. 345: Rina Raphael on the dark side of the wellness industry and ‘Weird Al’ drummer Jon ‘Bermuda’ Schwartz on parody perfectionJanuary 19, 2023
- UnorthodoxHitting the RoadEp. 344: Starting our journey ‘Across the JEW.S.A.’ with a visit to Wilmington, Delaware, plus viral Yiddish singing sensation Mendel Goldman, and Jonathon Stalls on walking across the countryJanuary 12, 2023
- UnorthodoxAn Unorthodox Christmas SpectacularEp. 343: CBS’s Faith Salie, gospel musician Donald Lawrence, a Jewish mall Santa, and moreDecember 22, 2022
- UnorthodoxBright LightsEp. 342: Celebrating Hanukkah with eight inspiring stories from the Jewish worldDecember 15, 2022
- UnorthodoxWork ItEp. 341: Isabel Kaplan on her novel ‘NSFW,’ and Tabitha Soren on her photography career December 8, 2022
- UnorthodoxTough TalkersEp. 340: MSNBC anchor Katy Tur and ‘The Last Boss of Brighton’ author Douglas CenturyDecember 1, 2022
- UnorthodoxBonus: A Conversation With Tablet’s Editor-in-Chief Alana NewhouseTalking ‘Brokenism,’ America, and moreNovember 25, 2022
- UnorthodoxTruly ThankfulEp. 339: Making challah with Molly Yeh, Michael Twitty on ‘Koshersoul’ cooking, and Shannon Sarna on ‘Modern Jewish Comfort Food’November 24, 2022
- UnorthodoxBuilding Bridges Ep. 338: Actor Eric Ladin on ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’ and Jewish summer camp, interfaith leader Eboo Patel on embracing religious diversityNovember 17, 2022