Ep. 359: Jonathan Rosen on ‘The Best Minds’; a visit to Armenia; and a look at the history of Zionism on Israel’s 75th birthday
This week on Unorthodox, we’re discussing the protests in Israel and the larger context in which they are occurring.
Our Jewish guest this week is the writer Jonathan Rosen. He joined us to talk about his new book, The Best Minds: A Story of Friendship, Madness, and the Tragedy of Good Intentions.
We’re also bringing you a dispatch from Armenia. Liel traveled to Yerevan to learn about Birthright Armenia, and how it could teach Israelis and American Jews a lesson or two.
Check out Zionism: The Tablet Guide, a new book edited by Liel Leibovitz and Tablet Magazine. Unorthodox listeners are invited to an exclusive Zoom webinar with Liel where he will discuss the history of Zionism and answer your questions, free with purchase of a copy of the book. Register at tabletm.ag/listenerzoom.
We love to hear from you! Send us emails and voice memos at [email protected], or leave a voicemail at our listener line: 914-570-4869. Remember to tell us who you are and where you’re calling from.
Check out our new Unorthodox tees, mugs, and hoodies at tabletstudios.com.
Find out about our upcoming events at tabletmag.com/unorthodoxlive. To book us for a live show or event, email Tanya Singer at [email protected].
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel.
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Check out all of our podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
Join the 92nd Street Y, New York for a series of conversations and celebrations with some of today’s leading Israeli thinkers and artists as part of their 150th-anniversary series, “Israel at 75,” starting April 16. Tickets at 92ny.org.
Join Hadassah for “Israel at 75: Successes and Challenges,” a free Zoom event on May 18 featuring Yossi Klein Halevi, Isabel Kershner, and Hen Mazzig. Register at events.hadassah.org/75.
- UnorthodoxAll That JazzEp. 365: ‘Afghan Dreamers’ producer David Cowan, and a trip across the JEW.S.A. to New Orleans for Jazz Fest ShabbatJune 1, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox 2.0Ep. 364: Welcoming our new co-host Joshua Malina; plus interviews with ‘Jewish Matchmaking’ producer Aaron Saidman and ‘Leopoldstadt’ actor Aaron NeilMay 25, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Conversion Episode, 2023Ep. 363: Celebrating Shavuot by honoring all of our Jewish journeysMay 18, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Long GameEp. 362: Rabbi Ari Lamm on spirituality in the NBA Playoffs; journalist Gabby Deutch on a Jewish cold case; and an up-close look at Maimonides’ 12th-century manuscripts May 11, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Maine EventEp. 361: Nosh with Tash’s Natasha Feldman’s ‘The Dinner Party Project,’ and a trip Across the Jew.S.A. to Portland, MaineMay 4, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Final FribbleEp. 360: Celebrating outgoing host Mark Oppenheimer with laughs, ’90s nostalgia, and a trip to Friendly’s April 27, 2023
- UnorthodoxComing HomeEp. 359: Jonathan Rosen on ‘The Best Minds’; a visit to Armenia; and a look at the history of Zionism on Israel’s 75th birthdayApril 20, 2023
- UnorthodoxListen and LearnEp. 358: Podcast macher Arielle Nissenblatt, Andrea Wakefield on Italian American cooking in Delaware, and a look inside the National Library of Israel’s collectionApril 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxPassover 101Ep. 357: Everything you need to pull off a meaningful and memorable SederApril 5, 2023
- UnorthodoxAcross the Jew.S.A: Louisville, KentuckyEp. 356: The bourbon industry’s surprising Jewish history, plus a ‘Seinfeld’ connection and much moreMarch 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxIn BloomEp. 355: Chanie Apfelbaum on her new kosher cookbook; celebrating baseball’s opening day with Zack Hample; and a new project from one of our hostsMarch 30, 2023
- UnorthodoxSesame ShtiselEp. 354: Grover does Passover, plus Ruth Markel on trauma and grandparent alienation, and Indian comedian Zarna Garg on learning from the Jews March 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxBunny BusinessEp. 353: Hen Mazzig on fighting antisemitism online and Gabriel Said Reynolds on teaching about Islam on YouTubeMarch 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxTuning InEp. 352: Jeremy Dauber on Jewish comedy and Mel Brooks, and Clueless’ Elisa Donovan on her acting—and writing—careerMarch 9, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Whole MegillahEp. 351: Rethinking Purim, plus a visit to Shemesh Farms in Malibu, CaliforniaMarch 2, 2023
- UnorthodoxThreading the NeedleEp. 350: Ashley McKinless and Zac Davis on Jesuitical and Lent and traveling across the JEW.S.A. to Seattle February 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxNew WaveEp. 349: David Sax on ‘The Future Is Analog’ and William Finnegan on surfing February 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxUs PeopleEp. 348: Author Gabrielle Zevin on ‘Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow’ and a spirited discussion about Netflix’s ‘You People’February 9, 2023