Einstein on the Mound
Ep. 153: ‘Our Friend From Israel’ podcast host Benyamin Cohen and ‘Wall Street Journal’ sports columnist Jason Gay
This week on Unorthodox, we’re still recovering from all the Jewish holidays.
Our Jewish guest is Benyamin Cohen, host of the weekly podcast Our Friend from Israel. He’s also the guy who manages the official social media feeds for Albert Einstein, which might just be the best job ever. He tells us about tweeting for the late genius, plus his journey into megachurches while writing his 2009 book, My Jesus Year: A Rabbi’s Son Wanders the Bible Belt in Search of His Own Faith.
Join us at our next NYC live show on Oct. 24 at 7:30 p.m. at the Marlene Meyerson JCC! Returning to the show will be New York Times writer Taffy Brodesser-Akner, plus some special surprises. You won’t want to miss it
Have a question for Unorthodox? Send it to [email protected] or leave a message at our new listener line: 914-570-4869. We’re also looking for stories about Jewish superstition for our Halloween episode.
Want more Unorthodox in your life? Follow us on Twitter and Instagram to see what happens behind the scenes! Show your love for Unorthodox with our new T-shirts, sweatshirts, and baby onesies. Get yours here.
This episode is sponsored by One Day University. Get 20% off your ticket to see Mark Oppenheimer’s Oct. 14 lecture on religion in America by using the code MARK when you register at OneDayU.com.
Additional support for this episode comes from The Branch, a new podcast from Hadassah. Each episode explores how positive relationships between Israeli Jews and Arabs can bring new hope for a truly shared society. Check it out at Hadassah.org/thebranch.
Unorthodox is a smart, fresh, fun weekly take on Jewish news and culture hosted by Mark Oppenheimer, Stephanie Butnick, and Liel Leibovitz. You can listen to individual episodes here or subscribe on iTunes.
- UnorthodoxBonus: A Conversation With Tablet’s Editor-in-Chief Alana NewhouseTalking ‘Brokenism,’ America, and moreNovember 25, 2022
- UnorthodoxTruly ThankfulEp. 339: Making challah with Molly Yeh, Michael Twitty on ‘Koshersoul’ cooking, and Shannon Sarna on ‘Modern Jewish Comfort Food’November 24, 2022
- UnorthodoxBuilding Bridges Ep. 338: Actor Eric Ladin on ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’ and Jewish summer camp, interfaith leader Eboo Patel on embracing religious diversityNovember 17, 2022
- UnorthodoxSpirited DebateEp. 337: Letty Cottin Pogrebin reflects on her Jewish awakening and her Jewish identity within the feminist movementNovember 10, 2022
- UnorthodoxGenerally AssembledEp. 336: Live from the Jewish Federations of North America General Assembly with Eric Fingerhut, plus ‘Rap Capital’ author Joe Coscarelli, new podcast merch, and moreNovember 3, 2022
- UnorthodoxAround the TableEp. 335: ‘Somebody Feed Phil’ star Phil Rosenthal on honoring his late parents on screen, and CBS Sunday Morning’s Faith Salie on raising Jewish children in a multifaith familyOctober 27, 2022
- UnorthodoxRaising the RoofEp. 334: Israeli actor Michael Aloni, Pastor Corey Brooks, JQY founder Mordechai Levovitz, and new Shabbat music from Yair RosenbergOctober 13, 2022
- UnorthodoxAbsolute CitronEp. 333: Celebrating Sukkot with a deep dive into the global history of the etrog, a visit to an etrog farm, and a look at Jewish co-housingOctober 6, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5783Ep. 332: Stories of reckoning, atonement, and goats on our eighth annual Yom Kippur special September 29, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily Hold BackEp. 331: Filmmakers Ken Burns and Sarah Botstein on ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust,’ and kosher cookbook author Kim Kushner on ‘The Modern Table’September 22, 2022
- UnorthodoxClass ActsEp. 330: Author Michael Lewis on life among the Jews and CNN’s Dana Bash on reporting on antisemitismSeptember 15, 2022
- UnorthodoxDog DaysEp. 329: Sociologist Ilana Horwitz on ‘God, Grades, and Graduation,’ Australian novelist Tim Winton on surfing and writing, plus an appeal to our listenersAugust 18, 2022
- UnorthodoxInside and OutEp. 328: Abigail Pogrebin on the new installment of ‘The Minyan,’ Allison Josephs on Hollywood’s portrayal of Orthodox Judaism, and a very Unorthodox fundraiserAugust 11, 2022
- UnorthodoxMoving ForwardEp. 327: For Tisha B’Av, we’re talking to Rebecca Soffer of Modern Loss about grief, and Walter Russell Mead about Israel and AmericaAugust 4, 2022
- UnorthodoxStaying CoolEp. 326: Singer-songwriter Lisa Loeb on the joys of summer camp, Cantor Yisroel Leshes on reinterpreting Yiddish jazz musicJuly 28, 2022
- UnorthodoxFunny GirlsEp. 325: Broadway casting shakeups, plus Iranian American comedian Negin Farsad, and ‘Batman’ producer Michael Uslan July 21, 2022
- UnorthodoxMellow YellowThe Gist host Mike Pesca on the value of disagreement, and Argentine journalist Javier Sinay on ‘The Murders of Moisés Ville’ July 14, 2022
- UnorthodoxGood SportsEp. 323: Hindu monk Swami Tyagananda on spirituality and the modern world, and forthcoming Tablet Studios podcast host Meredith Shiner on a Sandy Koufax tribute at Dodger StadiumJune 30, 2022