• The United Nations Human Rights Council appointed a three-person team to investigate the flotilla raid. [Haaretz]
• Mel Gibson reportedly told the mother of his child, “I want Jew blood on my hands.” 13th-century Englishmen reported relief that Gibson has found a new target. [Huff Po]
• The 50 Most Influential Female Rabbis in America (only six appeared on Newsweek’s list of the 50 most influential rabbis). My personal congratulations to Avis Miller, whose High Holiday sermons were not to be missed. [Forward]
• A reader writes in to contributing editor Jeff Goldberg: “You and your psychopathic friends at tablet magazine and commentary and aipac are criminally responsible for the actions of the israeli government.” Commentary running things? That strunz? Not in this life. [Jeffrey Goldberg]
• Old-school sportswriter Vic Ziegel—he covered baseball, boxing, and the ponies for New York’s Post and Daily News—died at 72. [NYT]
• Palestinian nationalism, via the Guinness Book of World Records. [IHT]
The video below promotes a Brazilian megachurch’s planned $200 million, 10,000-seat replica of the Temple—yes, as in Solomon’s Temple—in São Paulo. It is quite creepy.