• According to two law enforcement officials, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told authorities that he and his brother initially planned to strike the city on the 4th of July. [NYT]
• Two rebel-fired mortar shells hit the Damascus airport today causing a fire to break out. A Times round-up of that and other fighting. [NYT]
• Jobless claims fell sharply last month to a five-year low of 7.5% as the U.S. economy showed surprising job strength given forecasts that predicted it might stall. [Reuters]
• According to reports, the United States showed Israeli officials new bunker-buster technology revealing the American capacity to destroy the Iranian nuclear facility at Fordow. [JTA]
• The late Beastie Boy Adam “MCA” Yauch has officially had a city park dedicated near his childhood home in Brooklyn Heights. [NME]
Adam Chandler was previously a staff writer at Tablet. His work has appeared in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Atlantic, Slate, Esquire, New York, and elsewhere. He tweets @allmychandler.